Darrell Clarke

DC’s first ‘Meet the Manager’ session at Vale Park fails to go to plan.

2 Likes

A task that I’d expect a 10 year old to manage. This is a ■■■■ league and we have a mid to top half number of fans and a mid to top half wage bill, and a history of a club at a higher level.

No need for gritted teeth from me. He was poor.

4 Likes

Also, right decision to delay early bird promotion.

Lets hope normality returns soon and fans will once again get behind the football club with greater clarity.

3 Likes

Don’t necessarily think it was intended as a mock interview to be our manager, although that is how it has turned out.

I interpreted it as a more general part of Pomlett mentoring Dutton, in that as if he was seriously interested in becoming a manager he would have an interview somewhere (whether us or elsewhere) and it was a prep for that?

Pomlett was obviously impressed enough to give him the gig though.

2 Likes

It was noticable there was no good wishes for DC - or indeed thanks.

Probably pride plays a part for Pomlett particularly as he has been nothing but supportive.

I do find the departures of Ade and Jules red herrings. The former really hadn’t shown an awful lot until fairly recently, can’t recall many of us last Summer being overjoyed he was staying. And Jules, well Clarke seemed reluctant to pick him and if Nurse had stayed fit, he may not figured at all.

Neither player has been THAT good.

Speak for yourself:

1 Like

We all need to support the club now, in the only way possible and that’s to use ifollow. If BD and all the players are as up for it as Leigh suggests we could be on for a bostin match tonight and give Cheltenham a good hammering!! :innocent: UTS

1 Like

Obviously not as you said he wasn’t going to do alot in this division!

No I said he wasn’t going to light it on fire. Which he never did (and doesn’t mean he wasn’t extremely useful), but I highlighted him as our best attacking option as far back as Oct 19 never mind the last few months.

1 Like

The ‘moral compass’ , ‘calm and measured’ and ‘less histrionics on the touchline’ were all interesting comments for me.

Let’s hope Dutton is indeed a bit more measured and brings more stability with less knee-jerk reactions, either in game or with team selections.

3 Likes

It’s the same thing, not set on fire, not do much. What you were saying is that in comparison to utter dross, he was superior.

The fact is he’s hardly irreplaceable because he just hasn’t shown anything to suggest, that he isn’t.

Ah, but Mr. Clarke contradicted himself in the press conference by stating that he’d have no problem selling 2 of the best Fail players if the Chairwoman told him to…

The thing that i got was the “they have very different styles of management” quote?
Now it could mean that Dutton talks to and handles the team differently, a more measured quiet approach.
But i am hoping that it means he has a more exciting attacking pure football style, rather than the more hoof ball approach we have been seeing.

1 Like

Thanks for posting that @coxy.

His best update yet in my opinion. I feel I know stuff I didn’t before. A really smart call on the early birds too.

I like the way he dished out a few home truths. About the “nonsense” on social media as well as the underlying mood of Darrell being a bit of a ■■■■.

If you’re reading this Leigh - the best way to stop nonsense from the likes of us lot is to give us more updates like this one. :+1:t3:

17 Likes

And info on the rent situation :grin:

3 Likes

He did say Clarke was all for the transfer as was Stefan.

It’s really not the same thing. There is a middle ground, obviously. Unless a striker is only any good if he bangs in 30 goals a season?

And he got better since that statement of saying he was the best attacking option we have :+1: I was a champion for Adebayo while he was still a boo boy.

1 Like

Off the Vale forum, " perhaps we can pinch Holden off them as well "

You can paint the narrative to suit different agendas.

Dutton has been 1st Team Coach and arguably is responsible for the style of play and generalpoor organisation.

Then again, he could arguably been the reason, some of our Players improved and had little influence on anything else, perhaps completely ignored by DC.

It really is “one of those”. But I suppose we are about to find out.

3 Likes

Sure but listening to Clarkes press conference he definitely wasn’t. Now, that’s not the first time they’ve directly contradicted each other and I’ll say the same thing now I always said in each of those occasions. One is not telling the full story :man_shrugging:

It would be quite hypocritical of me to say it’s definitely Clarke just because he has left. But it is a direct contradiction, one says it wasn’t an issue, one says it was.

2 Likes