Darren wrack

I think he was fantastic. He often “filled in” and covered for others rather than being played in a regular position, was often played in front of Zigor to try and give him some protection, played central midfield, out wide, full back, in the hole, he was vital to us, and better than some that he deputised for.
Simon mentions the broken leg - we were shocking under Merson that season but I think Wracks absence for months was a big blow. At the time only he and Bennett were playing with any consistency or quality.
Plus he was the player who apparently started that magnificent brawl at Pompey, and there isn’t enough of that sort of thing in the modern game. :crazy_face: :grin:
I was a huge fan, in case you hadn’t guessed. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Wrack was our ultimate utility player for a long time.

Massive fan of Wracky.
You could see he had a “football brain”, which gave him great positional sense and the ability to anticipate how the play would develop.
Very rare to see at the Bescot.

1 Like

He had quite a few qualities but his ability to attack the back stick grabbed him a load of goals. Often looked like tap-ins but he’d broke his neck to get there. I’ve seen plenty of players in his position but never seen anybody as good at ghosting in like he did.

1 Like

Big fan of wrack who was one of the creative players behind our promotions (there was a reason Rambo scored so many headers). However, its certainly true that he had good and bad seasons but that’s fine, we couldn’t afford Luis Figo.

Total lack of ambition from Bonser as usual! :angry:

3 Likes

I remeber his broken leg at Yeovil. One of the worst breaks I’ve seen