Defensive weakness

Not as simple as that. Take a look at Eric Dier trying to play as a left sided centre half in a back three for England the other week. Horribly awkward and just makes it difficult to quickly move the ball down that side of the pitch.

I was referring to playing two central centre backs…

It’s not absolutely crucial, there’s countless CB partnerships that show that, but if you can have a left footer and a right footer in a two it’s a nice balance to have.

It is but it’s certainly far from a necessity if you have two centre half’s who know how to play that role. How many on here would turn there nose up at a Adi Viveash / Paul Ritchie pairing? Two left footed centre backs who know how to read the game and get the job done.

Those two you have quoted are miles ahead in terms of the quality Scarr and Jules currently are! I think both have great potential to be very good centre halves given the right coaching, training, experience through match play etc. The question is do you give them a go together that’s down to the manager!

On another angle, how much do we think Sadler is going to play this season? Is he primarily a coach now who will play if we really need him to or is he genuinely looking to get into the first XI?

1 Like

They are miles ahead but I am trying to make the point of people saying about playing two “left footed” centre backs. I would have had a Viveash / Ritchie partnership without any doubt what so ever. What there preferred foot is would of been the last thing on my mind!

Totally agree Mister, I watched Scarr closely.
He has very limited football ability in general.
Heading, passing or positional sense. Conference at best.
Looks the part and that’s about it

I’m surprised you think he is Conference at best Larry.

He’s 25 years old and has played 80 odd games at L1 / L2 level. He is now a regular starter for DC in what should be a playoff contending team with competition for places.

Can’t see him playing at Championship level but I can see him having a few years in the lower 2 leagues comfortably.

I agree.
Scarr is a decent CB at this level. Granted, he made some mistakes on Saturday against a giant 6’5" CF, but he made the necessary adjustments to shut him down in the second half.
Clarke, on the other hand is at least a yard or two off the pace. I would imagine this is his last year at this level, even his boss, and his friend, has to see that.

One thing that Clarke does really well and it paid off big time on Saturday is that he wins fouls. He tricks the opposition into fouling him. Hence the penalty against Harrogate.

Is that because he’s so slow he’s still in the way when they think we will have moved out of it by the time they get there?

4 Likes

Bit like Franny Lee & Buckley then…:grinning:

I really don’t rate him, harsh maybe.
And agree fully on Clarke, not at the races.

1 Like

Only one king at winning penalties Jeff King 1977-79.

1 Like

I think some are being abit over the top :rofl:

We’ve played three games this season with Clarke and Scarr together and we’ve conceded two goals.

Clean sheet against a Championship side limiting them to 2/3 shots, clean sheet against Grimsby limiting them to what? 2 shots? And the two Harrogate goals coming in the space of 10 minutes when for the other 80 minutes of that game, again, we limited them to 2 shots.

Clarke was at fault for Harrogate’s first and the whole defence was too slow on the second.

No point moaning about certain players saying they’re apparently conference level, when we’re undefeated this season, in the top 10 with only 2 goals conceded in 3 games.

Keep that for halfway through the season when we’ve just lost to Morecambe at home 4-0 and we’re 21st in the table :wink:

2 Likes

That isn’t all that far off what happened last season after taking 4 points from the first two games.

I do agree though, no point in getting over negative just yet. I think we have a decent team and the division is poor. Top 7 is more than realistic.

Agreed, it is way too soon to start moaning after 3 games. We’ve got a good mix of young and experienced players in the squad, they know what the manager requires of them and they have every intention of carrying out the promotion challenge.

Scarr and J. Clarke are very average aren’t they? Thought both would be decent pick ups, Scarr started 20 odd games for a Wycombe team who got promoted a few years back and according to Bristol fans Clarke was a steady defender for them.

Mentioned it in the match thread but staggering how many free headers the opposition get in the box from crosses and set pieces.

Not going up with a glaring weakness like that.

1 Like

Spot on. Think there were three times today in open play where an opposition player found themselves ten yards or less out from goal with no defender within five yards. A part of that is allowing unfettered supply too. Jules gave their right sided lad acres in the second half.

For me Jules gave away space because he was constantly bailing out the centre backs.