Defensive weakness

But Jules was a centre back…one of three in the first half but found it difficult to adjust in the second half especially when MacDonald came on. I was a fan of Ray Graydon who set his teams up to play in a single system rather than 3 in a game!! He didn’t do too badly did he?

No mate but tbf , he had an eye for a defender didn’t he? Signed some crackers over the years.

1 Like

His principles were to have a very simple system where everyone knew their jobs, and each player was playing to their strengths. I’d say say Chris Nicholl and Richard Money followed similar principles, although Money did try and fit a square peg in to a round hole now and then. It’s actually the model Brian Clough used, understanding he had some very good players but he gave them very simple instructions.

I’m not a fan of the Darrell Clarke “Every game’s a new project” approach personally. I’m not going to knock him or over react to today, but I think he could make things a lot simpler for himself.

8 Likes

Completely agree. We are talking about a group of men at the bottom of their profession. Which by definition means they have limited ability.

Not looking to be harsh but there are four leagues of professional football and these players are in the middle of the bottom one.

Anyway, with obvious limitations, simplicity is the key. One way of playing and within that a 1-11 who have one way of playing their position. Then you drill the absolute bejeesus out of that way. You drill it so hard you could blindfold them all, tell them where the ball is and whether we have it or the opposition have it and they would still know exactly where their nine team mates are.

In part Ray was so successful because we only had one way in that first season . Win it, get it wide, get it crossed, meet the cross. The opposition knew it but more often than not couldn’t stop us because we were just so good at that one way. Everybody knew their job. And in their component parts each job wasn’t that complicated.

You probably need a Hail Mary plan B for the back pocket. No more than that.

To try to execute three formations in one game with such obvious limitations in the talent department is extremely ambitious.

4 Likes

Sorry, was typing mine and your very similar one was posted in the meantime. Unsurprisingly, we’re saying virtually the same thing.

No need to be sorry mate. Great minds think alike and all that. Football is a simple game when you get the basics right. As soon as I saw the team selection I thought we were in for a difficult day. I’ll take the point but feel that the changes made today were unnecessary. More defenders doesn’t automatically mean better defending, infact it can often cause more problems than it solves.

3 Likes

Who got sent off this time? :grin:

:joy::joy:I was assuming that nobody would need to ask where the keeper might be. But having said that, at corners and set pieces, the goalkeepers starting position and when he does and doesn’t come is vital.

Ideally you want a Walker or an Ince because they give you certainty. Jimmy came for virtually nothing whilst Clayton came for virtually everything. As a defender, that is perfect. The worst are the ones who do it by numbers.

The weak link is midfield for me.

Your gonna concede balls in the box at this level but the fact we are so awful at picking up and retaining the ball after the clearance away from the box means we are asking for it.

7 Likes

We’re just bang average in defence, midfield and attack.

Will be the same as last season.

1 Like

I reiterate what i put at the start of this thread, when we decide to play hoof ball we look completely lost.

The only two times against Forest Green when we actually decided to play the ball on the floor was one, the goal and two, a spell towards the end when Bates was getting on the ball alot more and even though we didnt test their keeper, we looked a little more threatening.

2 Likes

I think you could say exactly the same about the Harrogate game , until we stopped the hoofing and actually started passing did we put any kind of pressure on the opposition and give ourselves some rest bite .