Director of football .... Who’s to blame?

Pomlett is just the name above the door so to speak as a chairman if we don’t get promoted he is basically useless if he hasn’t got fund’s himself to back the club which I doubt he has and if he has he probably wouldn’t be willing to then what’s the point he’s just a local businessman in a suit that’s done well for himself there’s thousands of them my uncle was a millionaire businessman from Walsall but that wouldn’t be enough to run Walsall fc in 2021 , John Allen at Rushall Olympic has owned that club for 20 years the recently had a 3G pitch installed it cost £500,000 he got £90,000 grant and put the rest himself £410,000 of his “Own” money and that’s at Rushall Olympic level, I doubt Pomlett would invest that much of his own money in Walsall fc.

Isn’t that a bit harsh when he invested his own money to buy the club from Bonsewer? He was up front about the investment situation at that point. I doubt the pandemic has helped his situation much either. But, each to their own opinion of course.

2 Likes

Absolutely. I’m sure he will move aside if there is a queue of willing investors, with several million to put into the club.

It’s not harsh if it’s factual, I don’t know it is of course but say for example Pomlett has a net worth of £5million and he wasn’t prepared to part with £1million to try to help walsall fc be more successful that’s his choice but like I say there are people that do that kind of thing all the time . The father of a friend of mine put £300,000 + over a number of year’s into a local non league side that doesn’t even exist anymore he is wealthy but not especially not even a millionaire but just as a hobby he put his money where his mouth was at the time , If you think about it in relative term’s there are loads of people backing themselves financially in football for example Rushall have player’s on £400 a week Cobourne Their striker I know for a fact is on that much who do you think is paying for that out of their own pocket it’s definitely not the 250-300 fans they get paying a tenner in .

Getting on Taylor and Fullarton’s back four games into a season, with a still open transfer window is extremely harsh, it was never likely to be a switch flick and here we are, class again. Not saying we shouldn’t be unhappy with where we are at the min and the performances but christ.

Having said that, I too am desperate for 3-4 good new players, but let’s judge them after a few more games, a settled squad and less injuries

5 Likes

It isn’t the amount of games tho it’s the performances. we’ve played Hartlepool who had to win the play offs in the conference and Scunthorpe at home who are totally uselsss and we couldn’t beat either. We got hammered by the conference side. Make no mistake we’re in a massive relegation battle unless we make major signings

1 Like

I don’t think anyone is getting on their back. But there has to be concern. There was an excitement about the “way” we were going to set up and play. We were assured we had brought a certain type of character.

Four games is way too soon to start getting on anybody’s back but it is more than enough to judge the much vaunted “way” and this “character” we had recruited. The “way” is fine if you have good enough footballers to execute it. On the basis of those four games we don’t. And on the basis of the manner in which we chucked two points away against Scunny and our demeanour after we conceded on Saturday then there has to be question marks about the character. Those things are compounded by an apparent lack of fitness.

The first big test for Taylor and McDonald is whether they are agile enough to change course and get the players to be more fourth division without completely compromising the “way”, whether they can get the character they signed visible on the pitch and whether they can get the team fit. Fullerton’s big test is whether he can persuade his fellow directors to fund two or three decent signings in the next week.

Early days yes. But quite big questions already emerging.

A dozen games is usually enough to properly assess how we’ll do and the stamp any new manager has put onto his team. Of course this manager has the advantage of not having inherited a squad who failed the previous incumbent. So the dozen games is about how he does with his players.

5 Likes

I’m now beginning to understand why the club keeps talking about getting the right characters into the squad. George Miller mentioned flat sharing and it sounds like he is lodging with other players, and probably car sharing as well.
It’s therefore vital that they all get on, and are able to travel together to save transport costs.
Nothing new I know, but it explains why the DofF is expected to do so much ground work before offering a contract to a player, and also why we seem to take ages to make a signing.
Says a lot about the attitude of some players that they’d be a pain to live with!!

1 Like

DOF is a waste of vital funds unless he is experienced at the task.This current person lacks the required nous.Clubs in the lower leagues need to use their funds in a productive manner not in experiments.0

1 Like

So a bloke with his entire life in football, going pro in 1991, with management experience, and who set up a successful football academy overseas, and been a youth coach, and was a premier league club emerging talent head, isn’t good enough for you?

Did you ask for the moon on a stick for Christmas?

7 Likes

Love ‘moon on a stick’ I am going to be using that in various context. Cheers, Exile.

1 Like

@Exile @WiltshireSaddler :wink:

5 Likes

Thanks!

May 20th I posted this … Maybe I had a point :man_shrugging:t2:

Depends if you’re playing the blame game or not. I’d rather support the whole of our club to succeed in this grand post-Bonser experiment than point the finger all the time. :man_facepalming:

1 Like

Remember the stick I got for this post :woozy_face::woozy_face:

:flushed::flushed:

Director of flip all

I may be revising my opinion!

1 Like

Fair play mate :+1:t3: