Donald Penn

The other problem with snorkel coats when you turned your head to cross the road you could not see anything

1 Like

However, if you didnt have a sledge handy you could lie on your back and slide down snowy hills, head first.

1 Like

Don Penn total legend, only bettered by Leitao & Kelly for me. He was also featured in Shoot (I think) magazine, I was so proud.

2 Likes

Buck tried to sign him a couple of days before transfer deadline day and felt confident he could sign his ex Blues team mate. What a wrong decision by Givensā€¦ a few weeks later he was a Div 4 player!

I was at the Bramall Lane game. There were lots of Wednesday fans in our end cheering us on.

Buckley was hacked down for our penalty and could not take it. Don Penn smashed it high to the keeperā€™s right - he did get a hand to it.

When they had a penalty, Buckley was just back on the pitch after treatment and ran up to point to the bottom left-hand corner for our keeper, who dived there and saved it.

After the game, as I recall, the announcer told a lie about the result of another game which would have saved the Blades. Their supporters were on the pitch and were not being kind to our players.

3 Likes

Did he say Swindon had lost, which kept the Blunts up. In fact they had the point or points they needed. Or was it another game? Wouldnā€™t work now with mobile phones of course. :phone: :telephone_receiver:

1 Like

Absolutely Wilts - that 80-81 div 4 promotion season is one of my favourites

Yes, I think that was it. TBH I was surprised it worked then because people had radios. After the game, my mate got scared and just ran off in a random direction. It took us ages to find the car.

1 Like

On home-made skis ā€¦ The Lickeys 1963!

4 Likes

I went to Brammall Lane the next time we played them, which was February or March of 1983. We played well but lost 2-1 or 3-1, Shakey getting our goal. Anyhow, it was incredibly hostile that day, they really hadnā€™t started to forgive us in the slightest.
Bit different in 2002 when we won to stay up and they celebrated with us, as it made it more likely the Owls would go down, although they escaped in the end I think.

I was 9 and at school. There were many inches of snow but the primary school never closed. One tenth of that now and they would all close down.

I was 11 and I agree. I have no memory of being sent home from school or life being that different. I assume pre-central heating we just put more clothes on at home.

On school closures I remember arriving one day at the secondary school I taught at to find that there was no water (a burst mains) and we got sent straight back home. Now that was a real bonus ( if not for some parents!)

1 Like

I think we played Wednesday on the last day of the season but lost allowing them to stay up

I remember this game because I missed it. Was gutted to have decided to go to some youth group event instead.

I went to that game, I had it in my mind we drew, you may be right though. Sure we were winning,Pedro scored. It was a little bit feisty outside after that game. Never really have a quiet trip to Sheffield.

I may be getting the wrong game but we did score first

Just checked. You were right about the result. Lost 2-1, Pedro scoring first for us. Was the season after the Sheff United away win though.

We drew 1-1 at Sheff United and lost to them 2-0 in the FA Cup in the season you are talking about.

That was the season after. We lost to the Bowels but they still went down.

returning to Don Penn, he was probably the best player we ever had when through 1-2-1 with the keeper. he would have gone places.

we lost a lot of young promising players: Penn. Paul, Edwards, Goldsmith, Ryder.:

2 Likes

Ian Paul was some player.

You canā€™t help but wonder what would have happened had he not been injured. Don Penn was certain that Ian Paul would have made it right up to England International level.

Being selfish it would have been great if heā€™d have given us a few more years. I suspect that by the famous 83/84 season heā€™d have been first name on the team sheet. Him and David Preece in the same midfield - proper dreamy.

I suspect though weā€™d have cashed in by then which may have meant that Sinnott and/or Preece himself may have stayed a bit longer.

4 Likes