Donald Penn

We really might have been a solid second tier team.

The Milk Cup run was the best ever, beating teams on merit and playing great football. But I do wonder if it cost us promotion that year.

Very hard to find any footage of Don Penn, and I donā€™t think there were any cameras at the ā€œBattle of Bramall Laneā€ but I found this clip (Swindon 2 - Walsall 2, March 1982) with a Don Penn pen, so to speak.

2 Likes

Fantasy time I know, but imagine a Walsall team in, say, 1985 that had a fit Penn and Paul, with Preece, Sinnott and Shelton having stayed at WFC and all playing alongside Shakespeare, Kelly and Mower and the others. The loss to injury of those first two hit us hard, and of course we know our best young 'uns are often seduced away. Come to think of it, West Ham finished third (I think) in the first division in 85-86, with Phil Parkes as their keeper.

1 Like

Hereā€™s Don Penn just as I remember him.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kP9WOnWqLEc.

2 Likes

I say, what a good goal. Sloppy marking for the equaliser though, we need to get that sorted.

I just watched this to remind me what a goal looks like :wink:

4 Likes

Quite!
It also reminds us of what it was like to have exciting players, the sort that get a roar when they get the ball in a good position. Those of us old enough to see Colin Taylor play will know what I mean - you could hear the intake of breath when he had a shooting opportunity.

5 Likes

Have to admit to being a little disappointed with the clip as was hoping to see Donā€™s trademark ā€œNonchalantly pulling the toilet chainā€ goal celebration.

Itā€™s a clear foul. If you watch, as the guy makes a run to attack the ball and score, his marker is blocked off on purpose by another player in a white shirt, just like American football. Clear foul - is it too late to reverse the decision?

We didnā€™t bother much with namby-pamby things like fouls back in the 70s and 80s. The goal stands. :laughing:

Here are some reminders.

4 Likes

PMSL at Lee and Hunter carrying on their scrap after being sent off. Didnā€™t Doug Fraser (and Kenny Stephens?) carry on fighting after being sent off just before we made Doug our Manager?

I have a vague memory of that.

I do remember Bob Wesson and Stan Bennett having an altercation - not sure the ref knew what to do.

I remember Jimmy Greaves once saying that Bremner kicked him in the tunnel before the teams came out.

That sounds painful

1 Like