Evans vs Smith

Does anyone else wonder how on earth Evans has ended up back in goal.
We once again only end up playing 80mins a game due to him holding the ball for ten minutes of the ninety and constantly slowing the game down
All our quick breaks have suddenly dried up and Evans to me is the reason why.
Just wanted others opinions.
We are lucky to have two decent goalies but just wish Evans would distribute it far quicker than he does.
How Smith must feel being dropped for no reason god only knows

7 Likes

From my understanding it was weak management why Evans got recalled, Smith did not deserve to lose his place in my opinion

8 Likes

I think it’s great that we actually have two ‘keepers who are competent at EFL level. I do feel like Smith got away with a couple of errors against Tranmere where he dropped a simple cross and most glaringly against Wrexham. Still have no idea how Mullin didn’t tap that one in.

I would guess that Evans will be released at the end of the season and Smith retained as our number one moving forward.

3 Likes

Smith is my preference. Having watched Evans Vs Sutton it was so bad it was comical. Lack of communication; rushing out to clear then stopping causing confusion; trying to dribble around opponents; delaying restart until the opponents are set and as for the fiasco down by the corner flag … Jesus wept.

3 Likes

Nothing between them. No more than a rizla.

2 Likes

Evans for me just. Smith is younger and his time will come.

It’s swings and roundabouts with these two I feel.

Evidence? What could Evans do/threaten to bully his way into the team?

Evans for me for the simple reason that he is better on crosses and that is very important in League 2.

2 Likes

Smith. Maybe their current level is similar, but he wins in potential.

2 Likes

If Sadler was a weak manager, how come he left DJ out while all the fans and DJ himself I assume we’re screaming for him to get a game?

7 Likes

Both have something in their game that the other doesn’t.
Evans is better at dealing with crosses
Smith is quicker and better with ball distribution
Both are decent shot stoppers.
Smith is one for the future and will probably improve at dealing with crosses coming into the box, I’m not sure Evans habit of poor distribution will.

2 Likes

Personally I prefer Smith.

2 Likes

Cause hes thick?

Seriously though, he signed him, a goal machine, having worked with him last year, then benched him and put 1 man up front at home.

Nuts

Oh, Smith for me

4 Likes

Evans is a better keeper for me. Smith is promising and far better with his feet and distributing the ball quickly but I think he got a little lucky with errors he made when in the team. He dropped a simple cross v Crewe and their player put the ball wide when he had an open goal. Against Wrexham he made a bad error at 1-1 and we got lucky that Mullen missed the resulting sitter. Those errors were forgotten by most fans as we won both games. When he had a poor game at Stockport it seemed fair to me to recall Evans who is much more solid at dealing with crosses. I think long term Smith is our number 1 bit for now i would just favour Evans

3 Likes

Fine lines I think, we could do with keeping both probably as I don’t see the sense in having a weaker number two keeper.

1 Like

As Sadler has said Evans is the best goalkeeper in this division, and I agree with him. You can’t have a number 1 keeper who can’t catch a decent cross from the opposition.

I would like to have them both signed up for next season. Smith has the potential to be a very good keeper but needs to work on aspects of his game. Evans is very good for this level.

I like Evans, but he is the only goalkeeper I have ever known to waste time from the first minute of the game and throughout, regardless of the score.

I thought it was Flynn thing, but clearly not.

4 Likes

Gnats cock between them, so I suppose Evans gets the nod because he’s the senior man. He was very good earlier on in the season but his recent form has been questionable.

1 Like