FA Cup/ Small Squad

My mate played for Macclesfield that day, which made it all the worse :rofl:

I imagine that if we marmalised them it would be 1960’s or early 70’s :wink:

Wasn’t that Whitney?

Think Keates got knocked out by Macc on penalties in league cup, man there should be rehab centre created for Walsall fans in the town centre for PTSD from early round cup defeats!

All started at Slough… :rofl:

Yeah keates vs Macclesfield it was .
I was at slough as well stayed in Windsor all the slough fans were so excited just to be able to see Merson, Staunton etc they were saying pre game they hope to keep the score down to 3 , They must have thought they were dreaming when they actually won .

I started following Walsall in 1971, and I would be interested in knowing how many times we went out of the various cups to teams from a division or more below us pre-Slough, and how many times post-Slough. It seems to have happened regularly in the last few years, but not that often in my first 33 years as a fan. I might have the rose-tinted spectacles on though.

I know I could work it out but I don’t want to, I want someone else to do it for me. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

It warn’t that long ago :wink: . It’s since we moved here. So, some time in the last 38 years! :grin:
Actually, the pissed-off thing made me realise how many games have pssed me off: not just the crp ones (far too many of those) but the ones that cheesed me off for whatever reason. Last one I was really cheesed with was when we lost to The Gas in Bristol. We were the better team and deservedly one up. They had a man sent off (goalie, I think) and we fell apart against 10 men and lost 2 - 1 :roll_eyes:
It was the first time I remember us losing there in, what? umpteen years, anyway.
PS Interested in the spelling of marmelise/marmalise. It appears both are acceptable. I can’t remember which version Ken Dodd used :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Well, I’ve been following Worsul since about 1953 - earlier if you count when my Dad would take me as a, ahem, toddler. Good cup runs were a frequent occurrence over the years, including some quite spectacular ones. However, aside from our one and only Wembley Final, they have been extremely thin on the ground for an awful long time now. It’s a shame because the revenue generated can make all the difference to teams in our position: not infrequently, clubs have gone on to great success on the back of a decent cup run (or two).

1 Like

Yes just look at Lincoln City. A good cup run would be a wonderful boost for all of us.

1 Like

It’s also a great way of bringing in some younger fans fully into the fold e.g. going into school the next day and saying you saw your local team giving a full strength Spurs or Manchester team a run for their money as Newport have done over last 4 seasons.

One of the things lacking from upstairs imo, wonder if Gamble and Mole ever think they should do more to try to get a decent cup run out of the endless managers they’ve interviewed in last decade.

I honestly wouldn’t have an issue with Taylor if he rested a few players in the league game right before FA cup 1st round and hopefully round 2 aswell just to try to get through and make utopia of 3rd round and then perhaps some luck and a glamour tie as seemingly 90% of the football league had in last 5 years.

Give me a season of exciting cup runs over slogging to 12th. 97/98 is still fondly recalled on here as said above after all.

1 Like

In 1961 (or 1962) we gained our 2nd successive promotion, to progress from Division 3 to Division 2 (That’s League 1 to The Championship). Our home league form that season was like this…

Played 23
Won 19
Drew 4
Lost 0
Goal difference … scored 62, conceded 20.

And yet we managed to lose at home in the 1st round of the F.A.Cup 0-1 to non-league Yeovil Town…

It’s a funny old game!

And you remember it because it was a surprise and a low point, as it was when they beat us in 1991, and as it was when Slough beat us in 2004. The problem is, over the past few seasons it’s become commonplace, we keep losing to teams from below us.

Anyway, I hope you led the chants of “Moore Out!” after that defeat. :crazy_face:

Great season despite the poor league finish.

No we were speechless …the shock of losing was just too much for most of us :grinning:

1 Like

I expect the same reaction if we ever do a giant killing again :grinning: