Fellows Park retro pic

That was the only game I ever sat in that stand too in top right of stand aswel probably about 3 rows from the back. Remember it well trying to watch game through that glass!

1 Like

We were either on back or next to back row. However I don’t think the dreadful view was the reason why Mrs hullsaddler has never been to another game!

In that 1927 picture the bloke third from the left looks like HL Fellows himself (looking at the pic I’ve seen in the club’s history book). Can’t find anything online to compare it with, unless anyone else can find something. Back in the days when people did stuff for the love of the club??

The main stand at Wigan’s old ground was similar. The away seats were on the left of the stand and half of them had exactly the view you describe.

Went there about six times, stood five times and went in the seats one very very wet Tuesday night when standing on the grass bank didn’t seem too appealing.

The Laundry was demolished in May 1965 @enniskillen

I think the 3rd on the left is merely a workman @geordiesaddler there is a similarity to HLF but I can’t imagine him carrying a wooden beam. The guy far left is Joe Burchell who was secretary for many years as well as doubling up as team manager from 1921-1926.

Did not know that . Is it still at rochdale today?

No mention of Rochdale acquiring our main stand from Fellows Park in the excellent Football Grounds of Great Britain book by Simon Inglis.

Picture from last league game at fellows Park mentioned in the Andy Dornan story.

9 Likes

Oh dear!!:smile::smile:

The Rochdale stand post was meant to be a joke!

3 Likes

I THOUGHT it was, but I was beginning to wonder :smiley:

I was only a kid but I loved fellows park. Wish my kids could have witnessed the atmosphere there at a big game. Instead of the non existent one that we now have.

3 Likes

Ah yes, the smell of ■■■■ steam rising.

The memory of the street end open air recycled lager sluice will never leave my nostrils😂 Think I’m getting too nostalgic in my middle age!

1 Like

:joy:

That smell just came to me reading your post.

Ha. Not just me then! God I loved that place… Fellows Park that is … not just the toilets😂

The smell got to everyone. Half the Street End would rather ■■■■ on the terrace than go in that open air midden pit.

I think just being able to stand up made such a difference to the atmosphere even if it was a ■■■■ hole.

2 Likes

saddlers

Would that picture be of the Yeovil FA Cup game in 1960? Back in the day when you could get 20,000 for an FA cup-tie against a non-league team.