Fellows Park retro pic

A Plymouth Argyle equivalent of UTS goes by the name of PASOTI (Plymouth Argyle Supporters on the internet), and if you go to the thread entitled “Walsall 50/50” there is a photograph of Fellows Park which must date back to the days when Pedagogue was a regular attender.

I’d never seen a ;pic going this far back - can anyone date it, I wonder? :thinking:

As ancient and decrepit as he is, I’m pretty sure Pedagogue knows how to post a link… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

This one? 1989? :grin:

3 Likes

That’s the pic, yes, but it has to be waaaayy earlier than 1989 :crazy_face:

I mean, the fencing between pitch and public was replaced by a wall in the 1960’s (or am I even more demented than I thought?)

Your right Welsh, i remember the iron railings still there in the early to mid 60`s but not the wooden fencing.

My 1st game at Fellows Park was 1968 and the chimney was gone then. I’d guess mid 1960’s

First stood there in 1964 and there was a wall and proper terracing then. That has to be 1950’s or earlier.

Yes it is even before my first match in 1957. I would suggest it could be the 1930s around the time we played the Arsenal.

I reckon it could be even earlier than 1930’s.

T Partridge and co formed in 1910. But I don’t know when they built the " Grand Stand."
http://www.historywebsite.co.uk/articles/Walsall/Partridge/story.htm

If only Geoff Whiting were still around. He’d be able to tell us…

When was the laundry demolished?

1960 according to this:

Fellows Park

Here’s one in front of the stand, around 1960 I think

Programmes from the 1950s had this image on the front…
Sorry if it’s upside down!

This picture also disproves Roy Whalley’s theory that by 1990 Fellows Park had become unfit for purpose, as following the construction of Bescot in 1990, the main stand was transported and re-erected at Spotland, Rochdale, as seen here.

Imgur

4 Likes

Excellent picture Geordie.
While I’ve got the box out, here’s another golden oldie with some familiar faces for us golden oldies … Possibly the right way up.

What happened to Geoff? His firm used to do some books for me years ago.

You mean to tell me someone took the time to re erect it? it’s a wonder weldon didn’t take it down to lawrences :smile::wink:

I think they may have got the photo from a 2015 E&S article that for some reason showed up on New Now recently:

It is not captioned though.
Here is an photo from 1927, which is obviously way older:

I only sat once in the main stand - Mrs Hullsaddler’s only game ( I thought we better sit as we had 2 young children there as well) at home against Notts County in the season we went up against Bristol City . We were in the top right hand corner as you look at it. We could not see anything looking towards the Hillary st end through the glass/perspex. My memories of Willie Naughton’s penalty (I think) at that end are extremely blurred. Fog-like in fact.
It was the worst view I have EVER had in any game I have been at.
If Rochdale bought it then they were mugs as it was definitely NOT fit for purpose!