First match attended

Will never forget the star of the show, nicknamed Sumo.

Anyone remember him?

Sumo, Sumo, Sumo!

We won on my wedding day.

And my stag do wasn’t ruined by a 2-1 defeat at Blackpool the week before. The football league fixture computer will always have a fond place in my heart for arranging that for me.

I won £1,000 on the pitch at half time once. Had to walk blindfolded from the halfway line and try to stand on a spot place somewhere in the area with Banks’s on it. I think everyone who brought a pint of Banks in the stadium were given a number, four numbers called, four of us on the pitch at half time and I was the fortunate one to stand on the spot.

Which was nice.

2 Likes

Ten years old, was a Sunderland fan due to my dad but changed alliances after watching us a couple of times.

13th August 2005 … Walsall Vs Southend 2-2 … shame the only goal I remember is Southend’s last minute equaliser by Shaun Goater… our 2 came from Leitao and Fryatt.
Would love to see the highlights of that game.

4 Likes

I think this game was the end of our record breaking win streak that went back into the season before.

It always defies some logic that as a manager
Merson holds that record for us. Julian Joachim was key as most of that streak was the back end of the preceding season. We obviously got relegated in the seasons n in which this games was played.

1 Like

If this was the game that put an end to it then I wouldn’t be surprised at all… my uncle said I’m abit of a jinx, since then I’ve seen us win about 5 times at the bescot. Most people would give up! :laughing:

2 Likes

When I look round Bescot, I think most people have. :joy:

1 Like

First actual game was WWFC 3. Man City 1 in April 1969 with uncle , but then my old man took me to WFC 2 Halifax 1 in the Oct … and never looked back since

2 Likes

FTFY.

1 Like

95/96 season , at home to Rotherham. Got my first season ticket for the next season.

2 Likes

29 Sep 1979 Walsall v Aldershot or 13 Oct 1979 Walsall v Torquay United as both were 1-1 draws.

A little while after my first ever game to watch West Brom beat Coventry 2-1 in the League cup.

Lasting impressions of FP at the game are of cigarette smoke, concrete, bare metal, the frightening turnstile experience, grown men running about, the stench of ammonia on entrance, the crowd huddled on the bank near the end, and some kid of my age very near me getting smashed in the face by the ball around the 60 minute mark at the front of the family stand.

3 Likes

My dad was a Villa fan so he took me down there from 1971. After a few years of nagging him he finally took me on the bus and train to Fellows Park to see Walsall v Mansfield. It was 1-1 around February 1978 or 1979

3 Likes

First 4 or 5 games were at Villa. My mates dad took me and him to Villa v United at the start of the season in 1995.

Then Walsall game to my school and gave free tickets out so my mom was quick to drop me off at 12 and get me at 7pm ha. The love started from then.

1 Like

I haven’t a clue what my first Walsall game would have been but it would have been around '73/'74. However, 3 distinct memories have stayed with me from around that time.

Not sure if it was my first night game (I’d like to think it was) but I remember us quite clearly beating Brighton & HA 6-0 under lights. Haven’t a clue who scored and I have no idea how some of you remember goalscorers from that long ago (or how to find the info) :relaxed:

Definately my first away game was at Hereford on boxing day. I remember the day as my mom wasn’t best pleased with us disappearing to the football on their wedding anniversary. We won 3-1 and we played in the light blue top and socks and black shorts.
Along with our white tops and red shorts for the home kit, that blue and black away kit has always had a special place in my heart… both kits always reminds me of my dad.

My only other clear(ish) memory from around that time was playing Halifax town. On the way to the ground I was assured we should beat them. I remember their green and black striped kit and really liking it. The game was awful; I think we either lost 1-0 or we scraped a draw. Hated that green and black striped kit since.

2 Likes

Mine too! 1975 I think. I loved that kit. That blue is still my favourite colour.

1 Like

If that’s the case I’d have been 10. Just remember being so excited to see us play at another ground.

A tuesday night in October of '74. I think we were top, or second, doing well anyhow. You could guess three of the scorers - five of the goals were shared between Messrs. Buckley, Andrews and Wright. The other goal came from Roger Fry, and I can’t think if he ever scored another goal for us.

A great win against the eventual champions and when we also won at Selhurst Park a couple of weeks later (Miah the flyer with the only goal on a tuesday night) it was starting to look as though it might be our year. Alas…

1 Like

Thanks for that JT, much appreciated. Buckley, Andrews and Wright… synonymous with my youth and dad time at the match.

Hereford, champions that season… wow! How times have changed!

1 Like

When he first appeared he rocked up in a Wolves top and was always 5 minutes behind on the lap of honour

1 Like

If they did the same 50 odd years on at our current stadium we probably wouldn’t be able to hear it, with our state of the art PA system.

1 Like

That was mine too. 2-2 draw and Larusson blazed a penalty over the bar.

Weirdly, the first football match I ever attended was Arsenal v Leeds after my mom won a competition, but thankfully I didn’t take a shine to either!

1 Like