Former players - where are they now?

He’s won’t leave Horsefield .

1 Like

That was the period where Butler, Ledesma, Gill and the French midfielder all came within a month of each other.

Shows how bad things had got that it was an alright run for the rest of the season and still only stayed up on the last day with Plymouth losing points for going into administration.

1 Like

Neil Etheridge released by Blues, but John Ruddy offered a new contract.

1 Like

Decent shout 34 now so not unrealistic

1 Like

I’d take Etheridge and Sawyers in a heartbeat if their wage demands weren’t daft.

#gettingthebandbacktogether

11 Likes

Sawyers played in our best team of last decade plus.

Merson as a player was a class above what we have ever seen. I seem to recall him saying about his time at Walsall as a player, flicking balls round corners only for a team mate not to have anticipated it and the fans telling him he was shit. :grin:

I guess what I am saying is just how effective would a Sawyers be in this team. No Bradshaw, Forde, Lalkovic, Demitriou, Henry making runs. When he looks up he will be searching out Matt, DJT, Gordon and possibly Knowles. :see_no_evil:

4 Likes

That, is an excellent point.about Sawyers.

Not sure Merson is a “class above what we have ever seen”. He wouldn’t get in my all time Walsall midfield or forward line. In midfield he’d need to oust O’Connor, Preece or Samways. No chance. And when he does his whole “I flicked it round the corner and the Walsall player was picking his nose” jutzpah he should really qualify whether he is talking about the likes of Vinny Samways, Steve Corica and Simon Osborn or if it was the players he actually signed the year later.

7 Likes

The point about Merson was on paper he was head and shoulders more talented than any of those players you mentioned, but even in my best XI he wouldn’t get in. It was illustrative as an extreme example.

Oztumer was mentioned on another thread and if it was a choice between him and Sawyers(and it isn’t because we won’t be in that market) I’d take Oztumer. Mercurial talent who stopped us from being relegated a year or two earlier than we were. Always felt he didn’t need another teammate to do something special.

3 Likes

Eh Merson was absolutely streets ahead of those players you listed there that I have seen (never saw Preece mind) when talking about pure talent, and I agree with him when he talks about players not making the right runs to. That midfield you listed there was incredibly static.

1 Like

Totally agree and I love both. Sawyers was great in a good team, Oztumer was great with nowt around him. Put Oztumer in the team Sawyers played in and we walk that league managerial change or not.

1 Like

O’Connor and Preece static? Hmm. Samways I get. Merson in his time at Walsall nowhere near those three’s time at Walsall.

I also agree with players not making runs intelligent enough. They were the players Merson signed. Broad, Standing (both of whose names should have been a clue) et al.

I was talking about the midfield Merson played in that he claimed weren’t running on to his passes. The one you listed just there.

I said I’d never seen Preece, but I did see O’Connor and Samways and they weren’t in his league technically though, but I wasn’t calling them static (although I guess I was about Samways as he was in both groups).

I agree about his signings, he was obviously a shit manager, but I’m talking about him as a player.

2 Likes

Couple of Adebayo goals would be nice this afternoon presuming we do actually have a sell on clause

34 and 32 so they have to be prepared to take less if they only get offers lower down than they have been operating at since they left us.

1 Like

Matty Stevens signed a 2 year deal at Afc Wimbledon

2 Likes

People on UTS did not think him worth having. An interesting move.

1 Like

Recovering from injury, he wasn’t fit but he showed glimpses of what he could do. Wimbledon might have done some good business there.

There will be a glut of players out there recovering from injury who will jump at the chance to come and convalesce here next season I’m not panicking.plenty of time

1 Like

As i understand it Wimbledon are trying to adopt a ‘front foot’ energetic style similar to (supposedly) Walsall so I am surprised by them signing him as he looks relatively immobile when Ive seen him play.

I suspect Stevens has been flexible with his wage demands in this instance.

I am not upset at not signing him.

1 Like

Their current front 2 looked quality against us. Josh Kelly and Bugiel. Can’t see Stevens ahead of them

1 Like