Fryatt Hotel Watch - 2021 Summer Transfer Rumours

Getting increasingly concerned about the lack of forward players being signed. We cant go into the season with that kid from Huddersfield as are only recognised striker. That’s ridiculous.

1 Like

I’m more concerned that we’re bringing in triallists who don’t seem to be offering anything better than we already have. Surely better to be looking at players who’ve already had some pre-season training in u/23 teams. I don’t normally favour loans, but this has to give us a chance of finding a bit more quality. Journeymen seem like a last resort.

I don’t get the whole striker situation tbh. It’s a well know football cliche ‘if you have no one who can hit the onion bag’. We’re really short in this area. In fact if we had an injury we would could potentially have no one to play up front. This HAS to be sorted

1 Like

I would want to test myself at the highest level I possibly could to be honest. Instead of dropping a level after proving myself in the league above.

1 Like

There is very little between League 1/2 & what was the conference. Personally I’d go after the money, give it two years and he’s history.

1 Like

Is that not what trials are all about?

1 Like

Ideally yes Gavin, but in the fickle world of professional football (especially lower league) I would imagine the head would have to overrule the heart.

I didn’t think there was much of a gap til we got relegated and having watched some of the poor football played in league 2 I think there is certainly a difference in the quality of the football.

1 Like

I’m really surprised about Mullin going to non league . Usually when a club pays too much for a player, it comes back to bite them.
I wonder if we had a chance to talk with him, I would back MT’s pulling power over Keates any day of the week.

But MT hasn’t got Hollywood glamour or money behind him .Anyway Keates was sacked and Phil Parkinson is the Manager there now…another who would not come cheap.

1 Like

Just goes to show though , offer the money and you can get these players. Club size and history below the championship means nothing anymore.

2 Likes

I’m gobsmacked.

Whatever they’re paying him surely someone in the league would have bettered it?

Middlesbrough and Blackburn were supposed to be after him so surely its got to be in the 10k a week ball-park? Crazy in a league that was won by part-timers last season.

Back on to the pre season. We need a win tomorrow. People talk about fitness only etc but actually this schedule of playing 3 top sides at home is morale sapping for the players and dare I say boring for the supporters. Pre season schedule needs a rethink to create something that’s enjoyable.

Last one I enjoyed was when Hibs came to Fellows Park. What a day that was for anyone that was there

2 Likes

I’m hoping that we didn’t blow more money than people think on Monthe Taylor Labadie Wilkinson and Ward’s contracts hence the reason for the lesser signings afterwards and the lack of a proven striker.

1 Like

I hope Mullin is working on his neck muscles

2 Likes

Getting close now to season start.
I don’t feel we have enough firepower for a top 3 push at the minute as we have one unproven loan striker , a non-league worth a try winger and one proven league 2 winger who is proven capable of double digits . Holden who is quality but is always crocked and oss who is pants
I think we will be a solid if unspectacular hard to beat mid table team unless we get more up top imo x

1 Like

Absolutely don’t have enough. Totally agree. Mid table I would say at the moment

1 Like

The early rather better quality close season signings gave us all reason to be cheerful, at last professionalism at the helm, despite the fact that most of the newcomers were only from fellow 4th Division sides, we were confident of better times ahead.
Slowly the ‘incoming’ excitement diminished a little with a few ‘meh’ newcomers, rated as squad fillers. We all thought the new trio knew what they were about and that a few forwards/strikers would be forthcoming prior to kick off…tumbleweed drifts slowly across the carpark, and we all realise that it ain’t gonna happen. We have a kid from Huddersfield Reserves that has never played a senior game, plus a reliance on Wilkinson who, by his own admission is not, and does not, want to be regarded as a striker.
We are a new squad with giants instead of midgets, defenders that we hope will not give our opposition a ‘goal a match’ but remarkably once again we are starting a season without recognised forwards/strikers of note.
Come on ‘new team in charge’ show us that you are aware of the ‘Walsall disease’ that has crippled us for years. A ‘goal’ tomorrow against lower league would help, but please realise, and try to repair the squads current shortcoming.

I don’t think it’s time to start pressing the panic button yet but many supporters seem to be worried about the lack of striking resources. I hope we are able to use our contacts to get someone decent in on loan. I can’t see us being able to afford a name striker like Pitman or Mullins. I just hope we don’t get lumbered with the likes of an Adnan George or an Osei-Yaw who were little more than squad fillers. There’s definitely work to do!

Mullin goes where the money goes mate . Never had a chance and his ambition to better himself as a player wouldn’t have matched Taylor’s ambition