Goodison Park, 1972, who was there?

In my opinion this cup run was a sideshow to distract the good subjects of Walsall from the fact that we were about to join the EEC in 1973. Likewise in 1975, referendum year, there was a similarly distracting cup-run deployed. When are people going to wake up?

3 Likes

Yes I was there. Mark Wallington, was on just £20 a week as a part time player that season according to a article I saw in the Evening Mail

Yes and after watching those highlights perhaps he could come back and show Roberts how to kick the ball downfield!!

1 Like

I remember being behind the goal where Chopper scored; got a great view of the ball pinballing into the net.

We’d gone with a friend’s Dad who parked up, walked us to the ground and buggered off to the pub. Me and his son were left waiting around outside the turnstiles because we couldn’t go in until he returned. It was pretty obvious we weren’t Scousers and so the local scallies thought it about time they tried to intimidate us. One of them tried to “persuade” me to give him my programme and I told him in no uncertain terms he wasn’t getting it. He then tried to pinch it so I whacked him. Somewhat taken aback he wailed as bit and then said he was fetching his big brother. Despite being only 13, my Blakenall upbringing was never going to let me get intimated by that threat, so I told him to go and fetch him. Just as this older Scouser was ambling towards me, my friend’s Dad reappeared and told the pair of them to bugger off!!

I recall there was no real segregation at the ground, certainly behind the goal and I spent most of the game peering over that half-round wall, whilst wondering if the lad from outside would spot me. As for the game, I recall just how well we played, particularly Bernie the Nutter and Mark Wallington. Don’t remember the pitch being quite that boggy, but in honesty that was a January norm back in those days.

My old man was there and recalls that Liverpool and Everton were both at home that day.
Liverpool fans were very keen to give us encouragement I hear.
It must have been the red and white colours (or is it white and red?)