Grimsby Town (H) 31st Aug, 3pm

A GOAL WalsallOne??!! I’ll get the party poppers out!

1 Like

Heart says win head says we will lose 0-3

Needs to pick between Sinclair and kinsella as they both do the same job, hope Guthrie is back

Don’t go mad …it may not happen.

Remember back in the old days, you would have a back four as your defenders, some teams would have A defensive midfielder, I can’t remember us having many. Usually two of the midfield four would be wingers, and the other two would be generally creative players that could get up and down the pitch put a tackle in when needed and get beyond the forwards. Then you would have your two up top. We’re currently selecting 8 defensive players and wondering why we don’t score, which for all the talk of new signings and formations is elephant in the room territory. One way or another we need to get the balance changed in terms of defensive and attacking intent, or we will continue to be very easy to play against and take points off.

2 Likes

Need a win here, 1-0 will be just fine.

Still early days but last few weeks been disappointing and this is the sort of home game that needs to be won to be in top 7 shake up.

Winner scored by whoever signs tomorrow…surely they’ll be a new face…

1 Like

Well at the moment we seem to have players that give 110% the trouble is it’s 80% effort with 30% skill, we need a couple of players that give 30% effort with 80% skill to balance it out :joy:, we used to have a kid in the team i played for that would goal hang for 80 minutes of the game and was our top scorer for 2 years :joy: but the other 9 outfield players made up for his laziness :wink: so i will go for a 1-1 with Gordon getting off the mark to start a run of 20 goals by the end of the season :grin:

0-0 at best unless we bring someone in before Saturday.

Score, and we’re on the pitch once everyone has jumped the new little red bar.

Little bit of previous between Darrell and Grimsby, or their press at least:

2 Likes

Will be a tough game. Hanson always a handful and they’re off the back of a very good win last week against Port Vale.

1-1 with Adebayo to get off the mark.

So early in the season but this is a must win game

How is it a must win game? :joy:

Most home games are if we are actually serious about finishing top half/play offs to be fair. I’m really not sure why the standards have dropped quite so low that we are looking at Grimsby Town at home and going “Oooh tough game”.

3 Likes

this i agree with

1 Like

Grimsby would have been a tough game for last seasons squad. I don’t think last seasons squad would have beaten many league two teams last season we were so bad. You sound like a league two snob to me and struggling to accept where we are in the football pyramid. We are a league two team now, let’s assess again after DC’s next 5 game block, I’m still confident he can sort this out.

It’s got literally nothing to do with being a league two snob. Play Offs is a minimum aim this season for the chairman if he’s actually serious about getting promoted. You have to be beating the goliaths like Grimsby Town at home if you want to achieve that I’m afraid. Hopefully we do! Game hasn’t happened yet.

4 Likes

It’s not ‘must-win’ though is it. Shrewsbury away last season was must win. If you’re expecting a 100 point season, then yeah maybe we probably need to win, but with realistic expectations of mid-table to play-offs then we’ve still got a lot of time to get it right.

Also, what’s wrong with saying that this will be a tough game? Grimsby aren’t going to come here and give us anything, and have assembled a decent looking squad with lots of experience combined with some shrewd signings from the Scandinavian leagues. It’s only natural that standards have dropped, because we’ve been relegated and have no divine right to win any match this season.

1 Like

I fully agree and I hope to see a much improved performance tomorrow, especially in front of goal.

2 Likes

Define must win? If it’s must win to stay up or must win to achieve your goals. I’m not saying it’s a be all and end all game to be fair so must win is pushing it but we have to start picking up these results sooner rather than later if we are actually going to do anything. Otherwise people will still be banging on about gelling when we are 15th in March. And by the way, Mid table is a disappointing season, we would have missed our aims by some way.

Because we have to be better than these teams if we want to do that, especially at home. “Tough” game or not. If I thought we had a divine right I’d be predicting we beat them 4-0. I’m sceptical we will even get a win.

1 Like

Depending on the context. If it provides us with a solid base to build on for next season, then I’d be relatively comfortable with a mid-table finish.

2 Likes