Half term report

Just as ‘incremental progress’ is a meaningless tautology - as all progress can be dissected into increments - so also was describing the owners as ‘accelerators’. Rolling downhill with no engine is still accelerating…!

That’s why it is important to hold the owners to account for what they say.

Either its scenario A) Our funding has accelerated and we are one of those teams with a good budget or B) Somebody is telling porky pies (and swanning off to Ireland to buy other clubs).

5 Likes

E+

TRANSFERS
Poor transfer window, short sighted poor judgement

RESULTS
inconsistent no evidence of putting a winning run together

PERFORMANCES
Not delivering the football Trivella or he promised. We have a habit of conceding very early. No sign of imposing ourselves on games.

Not an F as that would be close to (or in the) Relegation zone.

Could be a D or C if we had this league position but with performances or recruitment that was up to scratch

1 Like

Where would we be if we were better at the things sadler has no control over
Eg last second panic goals conceded and some shocking individual errors?
If saddler got the team more consistent confident and brave we’d have a decent side for top 10

The divergence away from the play-off points line at around 25 games in is startling…tho not surprising. I mean, we all know we fade off after Jan but there it is in raw data. Makes it so much more astounding that we manage to have the same problem year on year.

I’m far more interested in what model Trivela were supposedly going to implement to underpin sustainable success and invigorate the club, how they were going to marry that with the necessary inertia overcoming “lift” to ensure some short term gain that people could get behind and create momentum. Red flag alert when Sadler was appointed, Gamble continues in post, and another unbalanced squad is built with no discernible playing identity or logical recruitment policy. The Global football bloke, who’s name I can’t even be bothered to remember. Has anyone heard him speak? Can anyone see the beginings of his efforts bearing green shoots yet alone fruit? Does anyone even know what his remit is?

The thing that makes me laugh most about folks bemoaning the budgets and resources of the likes of Wrexham and Stockport, these are the same people by and large, that 4 or 5 years ago were ridiculing them in comparison to our “well run club” as they struggled in non- league

…Chesterfield incoming, 6933 last night at their game. Next year the mantra will be “but how can we compete with Chesterfield?”

2 Likes

Well i think that will be a clear marker if theres any improvement this season. Whether we can avoid the Post January slump or not.

And one of the reason for that is none of the biggest spenders got promoted out of this league last season.

1 Like

As I understand it Wrexham and Stockport have both been bankrolled. Wrexham by the hollywood pair, Stockport by a benevolent owner. I dont think its unfair to say they have better resources at this point in time.

They probably spend more than we do. Top manager and how much is that twerp Will Grigg on…

Depressing thought really.

1 Like

There’s a lot more substance to the Stockport story/strategy than being “bankrolled”.

Fair does. Im no expert on how Stockport are financed. From the outside it looks very much like theyve had some sort of cash injection/bankrolling. What Mark Stott (Stockport owner) is getting out of it is beyond my sphere of knowledge so interested in any input.

Trivela’s biggest achievement is we aren’t non league and do not look like sinking to that level - and it’s where we were heading. It’s a pretty low bar and quite depressing, but nonetheless, the ship has been steadied in that regard. They have not implemented this new structure that was promised and the recruitment strategy has not been noticeably any different, which makes a nonsense of the elaborate statements of intent. A personal irritation of mine. Corporate BS.

Our star player is a loanee that we will lose in January, we have a few good players that will go on to have good careers when they inevitably move on (Adebayo style) and the rest are the usual mix of dross and capable lower division footballers. It is the same as every year we have been at this level and we will be back at square one at the end of the year. There is no longer philosophy than one year at a time at present.

I still see the odd comment about play offs or having a good squad for this level and I have to have a little smile to myself, but it does seem the majority of fans are slowly coming around to the grim realisation that we are a middle of the road 4th Divison Football Club. All that cack about style of play at the start of the season was just madness. Our only hope of progression is Trivela are learning on the job, but then you have to ask the question, who are the teachers?!

4 Likes

Overall C-

A good, strong manager can dictate style of play and recruit and set up the team to play that style. You only have to look at Tottenham this season. Apparently the managers first meeting was all about non negotiables. The style of play was number 1. Ironically he demands front foot football and whether they’re winning or not they keep going for 90 minutes. We were promised that but have a mild mannered janitor in charge instead of a leader. Still can’t believe when asked if last night was two points lost he hesitated before answering!

2 Likes

By January they have pocketed teh Early Bird and season Ticket money and can afford to off load the players that will bring in a fee without much effect on the gate and replace them with basic wage earning CBA loanees. Promises made in the close season of intent and a few signings and rinse and repeat the same year after year

Who once said " we won’t get fooled again" yet we do

Got a nice figure here.

A nice graphical representation of when we score and concede. Light ball is a goal for us, and a dark ball a goal for the opposition.

I think it’s quite stark that we seem to concede both very early on in games… and right at the end. What is that down to?

Another graphic:

2 Likes

Young players and small squad availability…

Not good enough, unfortunately.

But it’s a fact. And it’s not poor recruitment because I think PF and a fit Hussey make a difference to that….imagine bringing Hussey on last night instead of Taylor Allen? Or PF starting ahead of an injured Williams?

I think a lot of that are ‘ifs, buts and maybes’

I think the summer recruitment let us down. Sadler was blinded by the insistence on playing 352, thinking McEntee was a number 8, and thinking Knowles was good enough as a wing back.

I hope he’s learnt his lesson. However I think we are definitely short in midfield, and short at right back.