International Saddlers

Not only played for them, left us to go manage them!

Which could also leave the door open for Roberto Martinez? He never played for his country but is now manager of Belgium who FIFA currently rank no. 1 in world football.

Demetriou - Cyprus

Siggi Eyjolfsson played for Iceland U19s.
Also went on to manage the Iceland women’s team from 2006 to 2013. Took them to 2 Women’s Euros finishing in the quarter finals in 2013 and resigning a month later.

Let’s not forget we have 2 players who played for England at full international level - Albert Aldridge played against Ireland in 1888/9 & Alfred Jones played against Scotland twice and Wales once between 1881 to 1883, although he was playing for Walsall Swifts. Both were full backs. Bit before my time.

2 Likes

Yeah good call JT - how about Tony macken?

I was under the impression that Netan Sansara had played for India, but checked Wiki and see he made an appearance for England U-18 in 2007.

John Keister (Sierra Leone) and Scott Ollerenshaw (Australia).

I’d forgotten he played for them. I’ve been trying to think who would have been ahead of him for ROI when he was with us, Paddy Mulligan I suppose, and a Devine (John or Sean I think his name was) who played for The Arse.

Doug Fraser

Roy John (Wales) mentioned on another thread recently.
and one that will only be remembered by a few, Chris Crowe (1 cap for England)

Ex manager Ron Lewin managed Norway.

Des Bremner

Jimmy O’neil who scored the winner for us at Stamford Bridge , played for the paddys.

Paul Devlin

Craig Burley played for Nicola Sturgeons mob.

1 Like

Tony Grealish

Danny Hay for NZ
Henry Newton played for U23
Matty Fryatt once got a hat trick for England U19s

Bobby Thomson

Trevor Smith

Siggi eyjoloffson if that’s how u spell it