Interview with Martin O'Connor

Our latest episode is an interview with club legend Martin O’Connor.

Skip speaks about a whole range topics from his various spells at the club, including his feeling of personal failure when the club were relegated (plus some of the behind the scenes issues that led to it).

O’Connor speaks about why Chris Nicholl was such a great manager, and person, as well as his feeling of personal loss with the tragic passing of Wayne Evans.

Relationship with Bonser, the spell with Hutchings, his Walsall XI, promotion in 95, and a strange international spell, Skip talks about all that and more.

We hope you enjoy!

Spotify - Spotify

Apple - ‎Yellow Ribbon Podcast: Episode 11: Interview with Martin O'Connor on Apple Podcasts

12 Likes

The best one yet! Skip was brilliant so much learned from this. Well done.

3 Likes

Enjoyed that - great work guys. Interesting to hear what MOC had to say about the 18/19 relegation.

2 Likes

Just listening now, really good interview.

2 Likes

Not had chance to listen yet but I loved Skip. Fantastic player

1 Like

Brilliant listen thank you. Interesting to hear what happened during relegation season when skip took charge, clear to see they weren’t playing for fans and sounds as if they were feigning injuries rather than play for the club. Old saying but so true, owners, chairman, players, managers, coaches etc all move on but the fans always stay.

2 Likes

Great interview, enjoying the series.

4 Likes

Welcome @michaelr

2 Likes

Really eye-opening about the culture of that 18/19 squad. Can’t believe people still defend some of the characters from that side.

4 Likes

I have only heard half of it but it does make interesting listening. A few things stood out in that part. The first was how he almost did not make it until Bobby Hope and Grenville Palin took him in hand. Another was how he came to go to Peterborough - it was simply that we would not offer him a contract. He claims it was nothing to do with money per se.

4 Likes

Can anyone put any interesting key quotes from O’Connor
I don’t have the attention span for such a long interview I really struggle after like 10 mins of just talking x

1 Like

Well, before he went to Peterborough, he was desperate to stay but Walsall would not offer him a contract.

2 Likes

Players feigning injury and illness by the sounds of it no fight in them to keep us up.

3 Likes

The game at Accrington was the one that stood out for me all that season because those players that day were truly unprofessional.
I remember watching M oC going ballistic over the other side of the ground.
Eleven players going through the motions because they didn’t care.
I like the honesty Martin has, no excuses just telling it like it is.
Another great podcast :+1:

7 Likes

I was trying to figure out who he could have been talking about by looking at the starting line up at Accrington compared to the previous game at Oxford. The only changes were Ismail and Blackett-Taylor however both those players were bought back in for the next game against Southend. Seems strange if he thought there was no fight in them that he would bring them back.

1 Like

Hi all,

Thanks for the kind words about the pod, we really appreciate people engaging and telling us their thoughts.

Skip was so open and honest, it was refreshing to hear someone speak so openly about tough times in their career.

8 Likes

Great listen. Certainty made my 4 hour drive easier. Keep em coming.
Wacka would be a good one :+1:

4 Likes

Best yet, well worth a listen

3 Likes

finally got round to listening to it today. Really enjoyed it. Like others have said the insights into the relegation season were very enlightening. I always thought the squad was good enough to stay in that league but without team spirit and fight we were beaten before we went onto the pitch. Thanks, keep up the good work.

1 Like

Just made the hour mark, will listen again tomorrow at work and hopefully complete the podcast, so far a big eye opener ( or is it really ) and a very honest account of what we’ve all known and feared the way this club have operated in the past.

1 Like