Is football as we know it doomed?

I agree but it would be fun if the government tried.

This is the ideal time for the “Top 6” to break away & form a European Super League. The Premier League would then die on its arse & its remaining clubs go out of business. That scenario would be very sweet indeed…

1 Like

Huddersfield chairman was saying he thought 50-60 clubs could meet a Bury fate in next 12 months.

What would happen to Walsall then, bumped up to the championship? :grinning: See the long game does pay off sometimes…with a helping hand from the landlord of course. :lying_face:

Hopefully no one will go bust but given the difficulties Macclesfield have had all season I’d really fear for them. Charlton seem to be in meltdown post Duchatelet aswell which is ridiculous.

Don’t start that, people will be out burning AstroTurf pitches

3 Likes

Charlton are in the throes of being taken over by the ex-Swansea chairman, Jenkins. He did a great job at Swansea (until it went mammaries-up) but “successful” chairmen going on to “successfully” chair another team are rare or non-existent.

Agree with Dan. As much as some dickheads mess with it, the game will survive because at its essence, the game itself is as simplistic as it is beautiful. It endures.

The game has boom and bust before. Those of us of a certain age will recall standing on or looking at (because they were too dangerous to stand on) huge crumbling terraces at places like Burnden Park, Turf Moor, Bloomfield Road and Deepdale. Monuments to the post war boom in the game - particularly in the North West.

I foresee decaying monuments in the not too distant future as well. I see some clubs like ours getting smaller either through economic reform to survive or through needing to be reborn (though with more splinter groups than a Labour Party conference, if our supporters were left to form a Phoenix, Walsall would have 10 new teams, each claiming true legitimacy to the legacy). Some clubs like ours will thrive.

The game will be fine and as ever, giants will fall, minnows will rise and some won’t make it. Football and life. Life and football.

2 Likes

Everything about our way of life is currently under threat of destruction. Its up to us if we just stand by, put a muzzle on, accept the lies and watch it happen.

There is another way, call you politicians to account, demand the information upon which your human rights are being suspended to be made freely available, participate in politics with a “small p” .
There’s absolutely no reason whatsoever that Covid 19 should be stopping people playing or watching sport. Even if you accept that (anti) social distancing has a temporary place in our society, and I catagorically don’t there’s still no reason. The science says the Vaaaarus doesn’t significantly transmit outdoors, nobody fit enough to be playing sport under 45 is at a significant risk of a bad outcome that wouldn’t prevent them participating for any other risk/reason. Even if you had to take temporary antisocial distancing measures in the case of most spectator sport that would involve a relaxing of say the rules on bringing in your own food and drink with a pay off of charging spectators an additional fee for the privilige, having some kind of staggered entrance/exit scenario and a couple of stewards guardring the bog door.

And if you can’t be bothered with it, or think its tooooooo risky, stop at home with your muzzle on while the rest of us get on with our lives, and don’t worry we’ll pay for you to do so by earning and spending money in our economy so our government has the money to support you in your decision.

4 Likes

I very much think along the same lines Geordie.

Shape of things to come ?

Love the people pretending this is some massive infringement on their human rights like they are being asked to live like Anne Frank for the rest of their lives.

Have a look at other countries. It will go back to (a more sensible) normal. You just have to be patient and think of people more vulnerable than you for once in your entire life. I know it’s difficult. I know you are smashing your fists next to you and crying cos you can’t do things you like. Just don’t be selfish for a change and maybe, if you’re a good little boy, you’ll get a treat :+1:

2 Likes

What like a day off work?

Whatever floats your boat (I’ll wait to ignore the essay that is about to follow preceded by “I just want to say one thing”).

1 Like

Ahhhhhh you’ve been reading the Covid 19 thread, I think your last contribution was something along the lines of “surely we can put up with 3 weeks of lockdown” :rofl:

See you in 30 years…

Love Anne.

Yeah or two months. Especially how relaxed it is at the minute. I stopped contributing because I find your conspiracy theories so ridiculous that they are borderline disrespectful to the 383,000 people that have lost their lives so far this year. But no need to worry, your blocked from now on so I’ll be blissfully unaware of your tin hat ramblings :+1:

1 Like

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Kiss goodbye to lockdown. The government wasn’t serious in the first place and never enforced it.

1 Like

Agree they want herd immunity and have done from the start will they get it? by the looks of it now they probably will but at the cost of many lives in particular care home residents who have been used as cannon fodder.

3 Likes

I wonder if they could introduce a system similar to non league for the lower leagues and that’s duel registrations. Basically a club from a higher league allows a player to sign for say ourselves. If the other club does not want him that weekend we can and we have to pay to use him. If by the next match his main club is hit by injuries he goes back end of us paying but when next available we can have him back. It would be a very flexible loan and we would only pay for what we use. Reduces cost for the lower league clubs

Blimey… judging by some social media posts spotted in recent years, some people struggle as it is with the status quo- prominent examples being someone asking if we got a fee when a player we released signed for someone else last summer, and after it was announced that Fryatt was back training with us in attempt to get fit a couple of summers back, the opening game’s team sheet was met with a “where’s Fryatt?” post.

The sort of available/unavailable, ours/theres jiggery-pokery detailed above might genuinely cause a few heads to explode.

2 Likes

Seems a decent bit of optimism that fans might be allowed to trickle into grounds from September, they were talking about England perhaps being allowed fans in as Wembley is ideal stadium to socially distance.

1 Like