Jack Earing signs

not sure i like all this Square pegs in square thingies ,and round pegs in round thingies .all very strange .

4 Likes

I like Jack Earring and itā€™s lovely to see him back playing again, itā€™s also a positive that after the club have looked after him heā€™s signed a new contract.
Perhaps Iā€™m naive but I find it refreshing that he might be showing some loyalty to the club and if thatā€™s the case, well, what a nice change that is.

4 Likes

Some players get injured and never seem the same again. Matty Stevenā€™s a good example of that from last season.

Delighted for Jack. He seems back to his old self. Equally delighted that weā€™ve got him until end of next season. Our midfield is looking good.

I always thought losing him to injury was more of a contribution to our January decline last season than DJ and Bennett being recalled. Now heā€™s back, add in a couple of tasty new signings/loan early in the window, and we could start to make inroads on the teams above us.

1 Like

I think that the comparisons that others have made with Joe Edwards are fair. He recovered from a serious injury to play something like 200 games relatively uninterrupted.

Earing shows a lot of quality and I really hope that it will help us to play through the thirds.

The bombarding centre halves is also right out of the Sheffield United playbook, so itā€™s exciting to see some actual tactics that seem to work!

Long may it continue because to have options like Stirk too, along with Comley and Hutch suggests that we can begin to control the middle of the park a lot more.

3 Likes

Good news and the early signs are that heā€™s returned a better player than before his injury spell.Fingers crossed he can continue to perform well because heā€™s needed in that midfield and I personally donā€™t want to see a defensive midfield again unless we are away from home against a really tough side.Friday showed everyone what can be achieved with a more attacking midfield on the pitch,please donā€™t revert to type when players come back from injury.

4 Likes

I have only seen his goal on the highlights, but the pass into Draper and his sheer determination to get on the end of the return pass were great to see. Add to that the quality of the finish and the outpouring of emotion from him in celebration were quite moving.

2 Likes

Very good move. I canā€™t believe how well heā€™s come back from a devastating injury that has actually ended career, much further up the food chain that for league two footballers.

I was critical of offering him a deal until now, but it has fully paid off.

7 Likes

I think the Club did well by him but, given he has been out for a year and has not yet played a full 90 minutes, staying with us is probably his best deal. But both sides have done the right thing and it is like signing a new player.

2 Likes

Very pleased for Jack and thoroughly deserved. Heā€™s a good lad and a very good footballer, previous managers often played him in a more defensive role which didnā€™t suit him or his game, heā€™s a much better 8 than a 4.
Well done Jack, glad to have you back.

4 Likes

Heā€™s also a much better 8 than McEntee.

I think that McEntee in a central 3 with DD and Farq is incredibly strong.

Comley, Hutch and Earing are a great central spine.

Jackson Smith has injected energy, enthusiasm and a real desire to distribute incisively from his kicking.

Stirk is an excellent player to bring in/on.

Sign Draper and Bennett (neither would upset the apple-cart) and we look good. Alternatively, loan out DJ and loan in Hutton from Swindon until the end of the season, and we begin to look like a really well balanced team.

1 Like

Another day, another league 2 midfield masterclass.

After endless terrible injury luck in last 18 months he returns to start and you have two of the best footballing performances since club has been at league 2 level.

Thereā€™s a really really nice CM balance now with Comley-Earing-Hutch.

Please please please Sadler donā€™t mess this all up and put McEntee straight back into midfield, slot him back into the central three where he belongs and he can still be very effective and feeding balls into the midfield and being a scoring threat.

Thanny was getting stick for years about this but I always agreed with him. Having Kins as a sort of progressive 8 really hindered the side once in final third and lack of creativity and endless 0-0s/1-1s and narrow defeats. Then he went and McEntee pretty much replaced his profile albeit with more scoring threat.

This is good. Biggest compliment Iā€™d give Sadler is this would be the exact central pairing Dean Smith would be picking if he was managing this squad so that is real progress.

6 Likes

Some good news for the new year!