Jamie Fullarton Departs

Last Summer it looked like a preparation for a Winter push (defence first, but attack has been left for later) and in January all will be good. Strikers will be signed, loaned, Holden returns from injury and 20 points more will be possible. Unfortunately Holden’s injury is more serious than expected, the coach lost the players, things went awry and loans wouldn’t help. I don’t know what will happen, if next March will be mid table and no real chance of promotion. I hope not, but that’s why you have plan B for things you haven’t expected.

1 Like

Not entirely sure we have a plan A to be honest.

Last season, I thought OK, Dutton keeps us up, ST sales are strong, we have Clarke, Scarr & Adebayo cash plus our new DOF is ‘on it’ with the re-build.

To be fair, most on here (myself included) were happy with the initial business in the summer window and it looked promising, supported by the ‘giving it a good go’, ‘top 7 budget’ and ‘best young manager’ & ‘club run well through Covid’ rhetoric.

But the wheels came off in the first week of July, where since then we failed to make any further permanent signings until January (& only then an injured player & one we already had on loan). So we started the season with an unbalanced squad, lacking two key components of the game creativity & goal threat. That speaks volumes, for our planning, our board, our DOF etc….

Whist Flynn is clearly a significant upgrade on Taylor, it is interesting that in the main the same issues persist on the pitch.

In addition, in the past we’ve generally had players who could command a transfer fee, which has supported our re-builds, not sure many if any would command fees from the current squad.

This summer is huge AGAIN, like proper really really huge; in Flynn we trust, but my fear is with less budget & our inept board, that we will already be set up to fail before a ball is kicked in anger.

I wonder if this new season will be another where the only thing going up is the rent. I will continue to be looking down the table and not up it, until the club I love, delivers the change it so badly needs.

UTS

Ps; @geordiesaddler for head scout

1 Like

Preparation for a winter push??? Is this a new football term or something you’ve made up!

That’s possibly the worst plan I’ve ever heard,.

3 Likes

I’m not convinced we have a plan to cover 5 minutes let alone 5 years.

6 Likes

I’m just shocked people are finding excuses for shortcomings of individuals in their roles.

Fullarton failed in his role as DoF - end of.

2 Likes

The “winter push” at WS1 consists of observing the fact that we are mid-table around November (and probably by then out of every cup), some mutual back-slapping, more than likely laced with some contemptuous sneering at the fans, followed by a January window where we weaken our squad while everyone around us strengthens, resulting in a plummet into an unthinkable flirtation with relegation out of the league. That has literally what has happened two years running under Pomlett, and the second year it was blindingly obvious what was coming…in October…

It was all hope rather than expectation, because deep down it was obvious we were going to come out of January with a knackered, weaker squad under a rookie manager - a recipe for the disaster that duely unfolded in the shape of 7 straight defeats which left us 4 points above relegation in a seemingly irreversible tailspin at one point. The sacking of Taylor defribillated us sufficiently to pull out of it.

As @WiltshireSaddler suggests the second half of the summer transfer window told us everything we needed to know about what was coming in January.

As far as I’m concerned Pomlett has been more than found out with his soundbite riddled Pomcasts compared to what actually happens on the pitch. I literally don’t know where he goes from here with that strategy if, as I suspect, its just smoke and mirrors to mark time while the rent and the salaries get paid.

3 Likes

This is a really good point. We’ve generally always had someone, haven’t we? Not so long ago, many of us probably thought Bates and Perry were the next ones, but neither of them has seemed to fulfill the potential they undoubtedly had. So who is left? Absolutely nobody. Kinsella might net you £50k+ from someone else in the same league or the bottom of the one above. As preposterous as some will find it, the only player with the potential to be something a little special is Osadebe, but whether he ever finds the consistency in his play, and the right position for him, is a big doubt.

1 Like

So what happened to the Adebayo, Rico and Jules money?

2 Likes

Kept a restaurant a float maybe?

No. That would be to suggest that Pomlett has somehow taken significant sums out of the club which aren’t disclosed. He hasn’t. I have no idea how that restaurant is kept going - its accounts would show that.

A lot have found it preposterous :joy:

Ffs it’s mind numbing just reading such nonsense :rofl:

Yes what has happened to the £2million plus we received from those sales and not forgetting the six figure sum we received as compensation from Fail for Clarke?
Plenty of information out there in the Public domain :face_with_monocle:

2 Likes

Questions for a fans focus meeting…

Oh wait, there is mysteriously not one planned.

I wonder why that is ?

1 Like

Have you seen the latest accounts and previous?
Most amazing comeback since Jesus.

1 Like

I’ve heard a few cockneys blarting on the radio this morning because ManUre are terrible. I know there are many issues and problems with ManUre but the main difference between them and Liverpool in the past few years is that the Mickeys have got their recruitment mostly right, and the Mancs have got theirs mostly wrong.
We might be on a much smaller level than the Mancs but we have that in common, plus the lack of a structure to the club and a philosophy for the team. They clearly lack football nous in the Boardroom just like us. :clown_face:
Good recruitment, not just of senior players through the transfer market but also of youngsters who are starting in the game, is perhaps the single most important facet of running a successful football club, and we have been dreadful at it since Dean Smith left.
JF was supposed to correct our deficiencies in this area but he failed dismally. Maybe Flynn will sort things out as Deano did, but what happens when he moves on? Back to square one again. What a shambles we are, lurching from crisis to crisis with no leadership and no direction.

As it’s public, you’ll have no issue sharing it to back up whatever point you are making?

3 Likes

Do your own research, you’ve got plenty of spare time on your hands.
:sunglasses:

Usually around Winter, teams seeking promotion look to bolster their options. They are checking who should be signed, loaned, sold and similar. Similar to season 2015/16, when in January arrived Wakefield, Bryn Morris, Hiwula and Pennington. You are just trying to be one step ahead.

Sounds like you have important information that all Walsall fans would like to know as it’s to do with the club.

Bit strange you’re not keen on sharing. :thinking:

3 Likes