D 2-2 vs Barrow (H) - League Two - Sat 23rd Oct, 3pm

I’m the same. Whenever I feel like we should win we never do

2 Likes

Already lumped on for a 4-2 win at 80-1, and also George to score twice at 15-1.
My betting site wouldn’t let me combine the 2 bets, or else I could have bought the freehold back by 4.50pm.

2 Likes

They all feel big but this one feels important.

It feels like we need to win to convert Tuesday night’s win. We’ve played really well in the last four to get ourselves right onto the coat tails of the pack in mid table whilst not actually moving a great deal. It is so tight ahead of us that a win today could see us move up three or four places.

And how many times have we got here and flopped?. Flickers of light and hope extinguished by an abomination of a performance and result.

I hope this side has the humility to know that Tuesdays result and goals count for nothing once today starts and the desire to overcome a team who are half decent and won’t give us anything for free.

4 Likes

Actually, in my opinion, this is the first time we’ve “been here” for me. The two seasons under Clarke/Dutton I was never fully convinced by the odd runs of results. We’d go on a run but I always looked at the team assembled and the disorganisation and the general feeling around the club and never thought “yeah, we’ve got a chance here”. I think Clarke knew too, look at his post matches after a win. He very very rarely said anything positive almost like trying to keep a lid on expectations or even having a pop at his own fans notably, after three wins on the bounce and a draw snatched from the jaws of victory because “I got criticised into not making any changes”.

To me, this is the first time I see a team where everybody knows their role, there’s a solid system in place, I don’t think the style of football is quite there yet but I think all in all the base is there to go on a run. We’re threadbare and that might change after a few injuries/suspensions, but there are concrete reasons to hope, and expect, some decent performances here. Something I haven’t felt for a very long time.

4 Likes

In the ‘runs’ under Clarke, particularly the one last Christmas, we just managed to outscore the opposition despite continuing to concede freely. Never a sustainable platform for a supposed the play-off challenge.

2 Likes

At the same stage last season we were on the same number of points as now, one place higher in the table. By the end of January (which this season will be the beginning of January in terms of the number of games played ie. 25) we had reached 35 points and 11th and were a whopping 14 points clear of relegation. And yet we still managed, due to key departures in January and a couple of injuries, to get ourselves into a relegation scrap.

As much as I’m loving the improvement and the feeling of optimism that comes from it, January to me just looms as a pivotal, potential nut-kicking. We need a minimum of play-off form between now and then to put us in a position were we should have enough in the tank to survive even a disastrous January window and/or have enough of a basis to progress with a pleasantly surprising one.

That’s as far as I’m looking ahead with our keeper, best defender, and top two goalscorers all on loan, and to me this up-coming January will be the defining month for Pomlett and co.
I sincerely, in fact desperately hope he gets all his decisions right and provides the resources for MT to nurture the current fragile green shoots, of which his own managerial career is one.

6 Likes

That’s fair enough and as a newish fan your opinions are as valid as anybody’s. :+1:

I was talking about our current regime. I’ve been going since the mid to early 90s (but maybe 20 odd years still counts as newish, IDK) :+1:

1 Like

I blame your boyish exuberance.

2 Likes

Got to admit I’m nervous for today… be interesting this one

This game really does feel bigger than it ought to be. ‘Pivotal’ sums it up perfectly.

Nothing to worry about. A George Miller hat-trick today is on the cards.

Just for interest as well, there is an article in the Sun today about George Miller. Apparently his uncle is ex Premier ref Mark Halsey. He said he knew Matt Taylor from before when he was at Bolton. It says that Halsey text Matt Taylor in the summer to recommend Miller to him. So it would appear that this one possibly wasn’t down to Fullarton but a case of who you know!!!

If I get done for copyright it definitely wasn’t me that posted this!!! Lol.

Great read that. Craig Bellamy bits funny I s​:face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth: myself :rofl::joy:

Don’t have expectations, have hopes. So I hope for a good result and injury free game.

Starting to see a settled squad :slight_smile:

Phillips back in from the shade :wink: likes it at home scored in each of his last 3 home games according to WM :+1:t2:

A bit more like autumn temperatures today - let’s hope the football warms us up a bit.
The semblance of a settled 11 - no Mickey Mouse “projects” thank goodness.

Menayese will let Josh out of his back pocket for the toilet at half time.