Jamille Matt 🐐

We have no one else that can do what he does and it’s key to Sadlers preferred style of play. I’d give him another 12 months without a second thought.

1 Like

If he can maintain performances like the last few games, then yes why not, he makes a massive difference to our defending now too.

2 Likes

When the ball “sticks” - it makes such a difference compared to just wellying it in hope over the top.

If he can stay fit for the rest of the season then my answer would be yes.It might even be yes if he has a slight niggle or two because he is clearly a leader on the pitch and if rumours mean anything he is a leader in the dressing room too.

Part of his upturn in form is definitely fitness, but there’s also the type and quality of service he’s now getting. Not necessarily the balls into the box as we still don’t provide that anywhere near enough. I’m talking more about balls being played into him, at both chest and feet. Certainly under Flynn, and with an element earlier on with Sadler, we were just punting aimless balls up top praying that he’d get a flick and chase down a lost cause which is never his game

Now there’s a more measured approach, finding him and getting runners around and beyond. His physicality in those areas is a huge asset. In the last two games defenders have been more preoccupied of having a tussle with him rather than actually defending, which has made space for others to take advantage of

1 Like

Discussed this with my mate tonight. If he’s as influential as Sadler says then yes but one that’s weighted towards appearances or similar.

Reminds me of Jabo Ibhere. His hold up play was probably the best I’ve seen from a player who played for us. Used to stick to him like glue. But i agree, Jamma is getting better each game and his hold up play was awesome

5 Likes

I watched him tonight defensively after another poster mentioned his defensive contribution on Saturday - so many headers and clearances from him in our box absolutely superb

3 Likes

Not the biggest Taylor allen fan but he has a great left foot and found Matt so many times tonight.

1 Like

He’s good at the dark arts too. Our third goal would have been chalked off for a foul on their defender in the prem due to VAR before jamma was played in, referee looking the other way, linesman the other side

1 Like

He was fantastic tonight in both boxes, hold up play superb and gets a goal. The trouble is also keeping him fit he is the wrong side of 30. Shown he can more than still do a job tonight though!

1 Like

Funny how people think that as soon as you reach 30-35 you’re no longer capable of physical activity.

3 Likes

Really enjoyed watching him the last 2 games. Loved how the 2 centre backs that have marked him have had to resort to constant fouling just to attempt to stop him.

2 Likes

I thought he was MOTM against Morecambe. Hopefully he will keep this up.

1 Like

It seems attempting rip the shirt off his back is no longer deemed a foul.

2 Likes

The ref on Saturday made me laugh, can obviously see Flint constantly fouling him on corners, instead of giving us a penalty he warns him after the corners were taken

1 Like

Got one of your jumpers

1 Like

He was unplayable last night, his all round performance in both boxes was absurdly good. If we don’t tie him down to a 12 month extension then one of our rivals definitely will.

1 Like

The co-commentator, last night, also spoke of his contribution in the changing room and at training.

1 Like

I’ve heard myself that he is the main influence in the dressing room, helping younger players etc, ahead of DD and other senior players. Sadler has always spoken highly of him, even when he wasnt looking anywhere near fit or effective on the pitch. See how the next couple of months go.