Jan Sorensen

Sad news, what a character. BFJ’s Barmy Army

We need to sing this on 68 minutes tonight

6 Likes

RIP Jan. 68 minutes tonight “Big Fat Jan’s Barmy Army” let it ring round Bescot

12 Likes

Big Fat jans barmy army , gutted when i saw it this morning one of my favourite managers for the memories alone , i agree 68 minutes tonight let the terraces hear "big fat jan " one more time he will forever be loved by all eho remember him at Walsall Fc :heart:

4 Likes

Have commented elsewhere.I didn’t realise there was a thread about him so I will repeat what I put there. RIP Jan…your time with us was short but the games were fun. You will be remembered with great affection by us.

7 Likes

Thanks for the memories Jan R.I.P.

7 Likes

Sad news.

But what an impact this man had on so many Walsall Supporters.

He chalked up some big wins on memorable nights.

He provided some great days out.

He served up some truly wonderful players like Boli and Peron. He got the best out of players like Hodge, Marshy, Jimmy.

He made use of Keates and Roper a fair bit that season. Probably helped them play a key role in Rays promotion.

The money from that United game was some pay day. Not that Ray saw any of it :joy:

Endearing memory is him sat on the wall next to the dugout - loved a fag and a rant. A one off.

Sorenson :denmark::soccer: Thank you !

13 Likes

Very sad. Great memories. What a character. Always used to smoke a ciggy on the touchline.

Rip

RIP Jan, delivered so many great memories in just a single season.

3 Likes

RIP Jan :frowning:

That 97/98 season would have been held in much higher regard if the miracle of Graydon hadn’t followed straight after.

Some incredible cup memories. Some top quality players. The Macclesfield, Sheffield United, Notts Forest, Peterborough, Man Utd games will never be forgotten. The Boli overhead kick…

5 Likes

Played really well at West Ham also in the league cup when we got knocked out despite the 4 1 scoreline

2 Likes

Macclesfield was just daft that season, hadn’t they not lost at home for something like a year and our team turned up and just battered them.

Last ten minutes of the game seemed to revolve around the team trying desperately to set up Peron to score a goal as well. Think he felt left out that day heh.

Proper fun season under Jan. Happy times

1 Like

Remember watching this never laughed so much :joy:

1 Like

One of my favourite games at Bescot too - RIP Jan

I recall seeing one interview with him while he was here, where he claimed he was on less than the players he managed (£10 grand being the number that sticks in my head) and he’d earned more in his previous job managing a bowling alley!

RIP BFJ.

2 Likes

I think so, it might have been 13 months or something similar.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football-sorensen-a-joker-on-the-serious-side-1139469.html

RIP BFJ

2 Likes

RIP Jan, some of my fondest memories as a fan came in that season.

With the squad we had the league performance was poor, but if my memory serves me correctly we had good runs in all the cup competitions with a fairly small squad so I think we just ran out of steam. Plus I can’t imagine Jan being a stickler for fitness!

I think we had a fairly poor start to the campaign and then rallied around November/December time into January, with some blips over the Xmas period, before the Utd game. Went a bit Pete Tong after that, think we only won a handful of games in the remainder of the season which ultimately ended his time with us.

Watford and Bristol City ran away with the league that year and our record was W1, D2, L1 against them, so we were capable, just not often enough in the league.

If his salary was a cheap as rumoured, he paid us back in spade loads with the cash generated from those cup runs.

Thanks for the memories Jan :+1:

3 Likes

On Wacka’s interview on under the cosh, he talks about Jan. I forget who we were playing, but his halftime team talk was to tell the players to go out into the 2nd half and “F*** them in the puddles”

He was definately a fun manager.

2 Likes