Josh Gordon

Stood out for me yesterday works his socks off took his goal well proof to me that hard work pays off long may it continue.

2 Likes

I thought he’d do well in this league but took an age to get going (not helped by the personal situation in the summer I’d imagine).

Most pleasing for me is how well he took the goal yesterday. Everyone who’s watched him for over a year knows he’s not the most natural in those situations so promising if he can show a cooler head in those situations.

And for the most important thing…league goals…Gordon 4 Cook 5.

3 Likes

Totally wrong,could you imagine how our fans/players/manager would react if an opposition player did that,or a ballboy. deliberately dragged his feet about throwing the ball back?If you condone that sort of behaviour you have no right to complain about teams doing it to us.

2 Likes

I think if he pinned back his ears,there would be less wind resistance and he would run faster…:ear::grinning:

1 Like

He is a good player at this level.It would be interesting to see him alongside a really big number 9 who can hold the ball. I think he could then develop into a top striker. Time will tell but he is not a legend but could become one if he stays with us.

1 Like

I don’t complain about the opposition doing it. Every single team in the country does it because the referees don’t clamp down on it, it’s just a characteristic of the modern game and you can’t afford to be a purist about it.

How many times this season have we seen a player pick up or kick away a ball to delay a free kick or throw in or not get their yards, only for the ref to do nothing? Until the authorities do something about it, like rewarding extra yards for obstruction etc, we have to accept it and play the same game knowing we’ll lose a competitive advantage it we don’t.

I’d love to see it stop for all teams, but there’s no room for Corinthian spirit when the FA are too busy ensuring every goal in the Premier League is justified to the last millimetre.

1 Like

Yes,and they get dogs abuse for it,unless we do it,then that’s fine.Two wrongs don’t make a right.

2 Likes

It might not make it right but that’s not going to stop it happening. Our players and opposition players are coached to waste time because the current rules of the game allow it to happen. I might not like it when an opposition keeper takes forever to take a goal kick in the 90th minute, but I know full well that Liam Roberts will do the same when we’re next clinging on to a result. It works both ways.

So fans (you included Simon) have double standards then,they’re ok with Roberts doing it,but boo when a visiting keeper does it.

1 Like

I can’t speak for other fans, but personally it doesn’t enrage me when opposition players do it because I know we’re just as bad. No double standards.

Wrong - I don’t think fans have a problem with the opposition players themselves, more the referee not clamping down on it.

Couldn’t agree more. We shouldn’t be making cynical fouls on the break either or pinching an inch on the last defender for tight offside calls. Maybe we should just let the other team score free kicks too, just to be extra sporting.

3 Likes

Er yes. That’s the point isn’t it? We boo and hiss the opposition and the ref at every opportunity. When our lads do it they are being canny cheeky chappies. Of course there’s double standards!

I did hold my head when Lavery pretended to have been pole axed when the corner came in. It would be a bit silly of me getting angry about it and shouting at the ref to book him for diving.

1 Like

I’m going to stick up for you here @SidSwifty.
Sometimes it beggars belief how one or two behave on this forum. I think that people should take a moment to remember that we’re all Walsall fans before retaliating like a frustrated Rottweiler…

One or two claim ‘not to care’ what other people think about them but maybe they should care a little bit more because it can get too personal at times.

I know that we should all develop thick skins and be immune to criticism but I for one don’t think that you or anyone else deserve this level of vitriol.

Like everyone else, I get wound up sometimes but I respect every Walsall fan because let’s face it, if we can’t stick together when times are tough, what’s the point?

Without getting too personal, I come on this forum to talk about the club I love with people who share my devotion for the Saddlers. We all deserve a modicum of respect, regardless of whether we agree on team selection or good old fashioned fair play.

Wishing EVERYONE a positive 2020. We all want the same success for our football club so if we could all try to get along just a little bit more, the good vibes can transmit throughout the club :+1:t2::red_circle::white_circle::heart:

3 Likes

Bit of an over reaction. I don’t see anything personal and you’d have to be pretty delicate to name any of the above as “vitriol”.

Nevertheless, apologies if it was taken that way to @SidSwifty

6 Likes

Wise words JJ

You know the problem with it all… Football brings out the best and worst in us all and passion will always over take that which leads too what happens…Every single forum will be pretty much the same…

Happy new year mate

1 Like

I cheer and stand and applaud when we score.
I don’t do that when the opposition do it.
Is that having double standards?

1 Like

Apologies, but I dont understand this response to my my post?

The year is 2054

A UTS thread finally manages to go 2 days without an argument or bickering breaking out

Ahh

5 Likes

Lol mickysaddler, that soon…

2 Likes