Kory Roberts Injury

Kory Roberts has been injuried with a suspected broken fibula and tibia. Guess that’s him out of at least the first half of season if not the whole season… Gutted, showed good promise last season just hope he can recover and come back stronger.

Gutted for the lad :pensive:, was looking forward to what he could do with new management behind him.I Just wish him a speedy recovery.

Terrible news. Wish Kory all the best but long road ahead of him in terms of rehab. He won’t play again this season as that is very serious injury.

They say that a clean break is better to heal than ligament damage :thinking:

1 Like

Awful news. His emergence was one of the few bright spots last season.

He’ll hopefully eventually get over it, unlike some of the more serious ligament injuries. We’ll see. :slightly_frowning_face:

Best wishes to him for a speedy recovery

Why the ■■■■ are tackles going in strong enough to do that in a preseason friendly

1 Like

I wasn’t there so correct me if I’m wrong, but from what I’ve read it sounded a pretty innocuous challenge? I’m probably completely wrong but that’s just how it reads.

Was a nothing challenge but he’s got his leg wrapped around their players leg and fell awkwardly. Very unfortunate.

1 Like

That’s what I read as well.
Fair play to Gary Rowett though with his offer of help.

Huge loss, our best player against Stoke against top quality opposition and could have been a key player this season.

Only slight positive that can be taken from this is that he could come back having put on a few extra pounds of muscle like what happened to Matt Preston when he had a similar injury at a young age, still would rather it didn’t happen though.

I stand corrected, sounds unlucky then

We have extended his contract to include next season. A good move in my view . He appears to be making good progress. Lets hope he can return and continue his development either as a CH or RB. Dean has also said he might make a defensive midfielder so when he is fit he will give us options and cover.

In a strange way, the injury coupled with the new contract may have done Kory some good for next season. Guthrie is developing into a more mature Centre Back as each game comes. If he can maintain his current level of performance, it might convince Keates that he doesn’t need an experienced centre back as Guthrie will step into that role, allowing him to be partnered by a developing cntre back. Kory could become first choice next season alongside Guthrie, obviously pending Guthrie signing a new deal.

2 Likes

More reasons promising youngsters should be prioritising signing to a real club academy like ours, rather than getting conned by the bright lights and hollow shiny nonsense of those global corporations in the EPL.

Hope it pays off for all parties.

1 Like

I dunno I hear this a lot. Call me a mercenary but these are jobs we are talking about. 10K a week to sit in Chelsea’s academy every week and get loaned out to a club every now and again or 2K a week to go and play for Carlisle or somebody. I can see why youngsters spend as much time as they can in these academies.

I personally think the FA should introduce a wage cap on these academy players based on age. It’s harsh on the players but at the end of the day we do not develop enough talent, particularly at the top end of the league and on the international level.

2 Likes

Think I’d prefer a cap on the number of players allowed within a Premier League academy system. Might put an end to the stockpiling of talent and push players to make more testing career moves.

That said, if someone is offering you 10k a week you’re going to take it, aren’t you?

2 Likes

I take your point too, but I’m talking about kids before they’re even allowed to be paid a wage. They’re much better off at a club with a morally well vested interest.

Roberts is a great example, as was the patience and pay we allowed Reece Flanagan.

Not sure there’s many academy players on £520,000 a year in reality. The numbers will be much closer aligned. I remember the Posh chairman saying he gets EPL academy graduates/rejects demanding 2k a week for someone to take a punt on them, when they’ll actually be really lucky to get more than the hundreds a week in such cases.

And the question is would you like a better chance to be a professional footballer for 15 years, perhaps reaching the well paid heights of the EPL, or one that pretended to be a footballer in their teens, as good as the money is you won’t be living off it for long?

Plus, we have a table tennis league :ping_pong:

A good move by the club both public relations wise and on the football side. If Kory makes a full recovery and fulfills his potential and I really hope he does it will pay off by having good CH and maybe make some money when sold on not that we would see any of it.