L 2-0 vs Hartlepool United (A) - League Two - Sat 21st Aug, 3pm

We’ve sold 255 tickets so far - well down on how many went to Tranmere. That was the first game of the season, and the first proper game that our fans could go to after 18 months of behind closed doors, plus it’s a shorter journey - but a drop of around 80%? Is the honeymoon period really over that quickly (this is only our second away trip)?

It’s a bit of a trek, it does put a lot of people off. If I remember rightly we didn’t take a great following there the season we won the title and it was a top end of the table clash. It was snowing in Walsall but all the same I 300-ish wouldn’t be a bad turn out.

2 Likes

What is it? 4 ish hours there 4 back.

Not surprised a lot cant be arsed.

A 7 hour return journey vs a 4 hour return journey might be a factor……

1 Like

I drove there that day in the 06/07 season, I don’t drive to away games often but I genuinely couldn’t find a minibus or a lift that day. Think it took just over 3 hours in the car but on a coach definitely be best part of 4 hours.

I’m not going myself, my lad want’s to go but that long on a coach is a lot in one day. Years gone by I wouldn’t have thought twice about going but I don’t mind giving the odd one a miss these days.

A bit less driving than that, but if you have a stop on the way that would make it about four hours. Assuming no hold-ups on the M1/A1.
Of course our fans who live either South or West of Walsall would have a longer journey than that.

Been there 3 times over the years depressing place if I remember it right :joy::joy: Sure we had them Darlington and Carlisle in our division for a few years in the 90s

Says 3 hours 5 mins M18 A1 etc was gonna go but not going to bother I’ll be there against Stevenage is it next Saturday?

The passing game is great if you have the players to do it and it’s done with a purpose. If not, it becomes a boring, aimless tippy-tappy approach with no end-product (Dean Smith’s 2012/13 Saddlers). Done well, it’s very effective (Deano’s 2015 team). I think we are more the 2012/13 version. I wouldn’t mind us being a bit more direct - I don’t mean just humping it but direct running into space and playing it forward more quickly. But we need strikers and attacking midfielders to actually make those runs!

6 Likes

Has anyone bought tickets and put them down for postage?

Bought one on Sunday via eticketing and still haven’t received it :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Yup, ordered Monday arrived today

1 Like

I’ll check later when I’m back from work :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Fair play to you all for going you have massive respect from me as I’ve chickened out for fear of a 3 hour drive home after a loss if we’d have seen Scunny off I probably would have gone.

Glory hunter

2 Likes

To be honest results and form dont influence whether I go or not. It’s about going and seeing people

2 Likes

Unless someone or even better a couple of signing are made, can only see walsall struggling again.
Enjoy the game who going cost of travel to much for me.

Jamie Patterson, Febian Brandy, Craig Westcarr and Will Grigg? I wish. :grin: I know we had a really bad spell that season, but either side of that, we played some fantastic football.

Although the overall team wasn’t as strong as the 2015 team, I’d say the football we played the second half of the season in 2013 was the best we saw from Dean Smith’s teams. From an entertainment point of view at least.

That front line was really dynamic, you always felt one of them was going to score. Westcarr was a superb signing also, played behind the striker, was a really clever player. Did well as a striker the following season but I thought he was superb as the link behind that front 3. A lot of fans preferred Baxendale who to be fair did a good job also in that role.

5 Likes

Yep - me too. Might have to phone tomorrow as sometimes the post doesn’t arrive until after our ticket office closes.

This halfway house arrangement is rubbish.

I was thinking of the spell when we didn’t win for 16 games :grin: