L 3-1 vs Forest Green Rovers (H) - League Two - Sat 14th Aug, 3pm

The positives - Wolves and Villa also lost, and even with just 1 in 2 games we have scored more league goals than Port Vale.

1 Like

Don’t panic folks. We’ll be in the championship soon.

I do worry that we’ll be equally undone when Nigel Adkins brings his Scunthorpe side on Tuesday.

Still, I’ll be there.

1 Like

Oh - and we’re only bottom of the table on alphabetic order.

And 4 points off the playoffs :rofl:

1 Like

Tough one to take today but its a working progress and I expected a slow start to the season. 2 or 3 new signings and some more coaching and developing I’m sure over time we will get it right.

I’m more concerned about the issues regarding the Match day experience that have been endured today.
TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE!!! This is a an established football league club. No excuses action needs to taken Immediately before we lose a large proportion of our fan base. How are we meant to encourage new supporters to start attending when the match day experience is embarrassing to say the least.

4 Likes

I’ve noticed that not one player has posted on twitter tonight, normally several of them have been active after the last couple of matches. Probably told to keep off due to how we feel at the min

It would take some balls to post on Twitter tonight after that debacle.

2 Likes

I guess they were instructed not to because theses days every defeat is a tragedy.Every heavy defeat means all the players are useless and the manager should be sacked!!!

2 Likes

This might upset the anti-Kinsella brigade. But kinsella was missed today he might not be the most technically gifted. But he wouldn’t have waved his white flag and surrendered like majority of the player’s today.

13 Likes

Makes me wonder if that’s why Perry isn’t being played. Are they expecting an offer to be made or has been made already and don’t want him injured. There was rumours someone was interested. :man_shrugging:

Tragedy? Today felt like more than a tragedy.
Totally get it’s only our second league fixture but and it’s a big but we look f***ing clueless.
Well done Jamie Fullerton.
Director of football?

At times Osadebe was playing as a defensive midfielder when Labadie went forward and he doesn’t have the no nonsense and concentration capability to play there, hence why he got caught in possession several times whereas Kinsella/Perry are made for that position.

2 Likes

I wonder if we made a mistake signing both of these as they seem quite similar and maybe don’t compliment each other that well (maybe it is that they need time to gel!!)
I watched the villa game and thought they looked worringly slow then (although I realise they were playing against Watkins etc so have them some grace) but it looks like we need at least one centre half with more mobility in there.
Maybe we should play Taylor with menayese on Tues as he has looked okay from what I have seen of him.
A Tranmere fan warned us that after one good season monthe went a bit pants and had a rickett in him waiting to happen most games.

1 Like

Thank God I didn’t go, sounds like a complete shambles on and off the pitch. Amazing how optimism can disappear! Not going to get hysterical yet and must admit I only read posts by people who post sense rather than getting hysterical at every defeat. But it sounded awful and needs sorting on Tuesday. Either way looking forward to Hartlepool even if the highlight is likely to be having a pint with @geordiesaddler and showing my gobby scouse mate Gill what she has been missing all these years she has followed the red shite.

Shambles on the pitch is one thing, very sad to hear about the off the field shambles. This is basic events management stuff and with 18 months to get it right there really should be no excuse. LP needs to be ruthless and sort the match day experience out, Gamble and Mole have had 15 years to sort it out. If you always do what you have always done you will always get what you have always got.

8 Likes

I said to my lad today , some how they have managed to make everything worse , and that’s a very low bar .
Without taking into account the actual football , enough has been said about that , the whole match day experience was thoroughly depressing .
I went to the ticket office to get our Hartlepool tickets there were loads of people in the queue with e-ticket s who had been turned away , also people up in arms regards the car parking passes .
At the entrance through the Stadium reception the guy on the door was doing his best with the rubbish tech he had to scan people’s e-ticket , some were ok some were rejected obviously causing queues and distress , the people in front of us the young lad was ok but his dad’s scan was rejected .
I know it’s happening at much bigger and better clubs than us but just get it sorted!!
Then once we actually got into the Stadium suite the queues were ridiculous , actually felt sorry for the girls behind the bar , as I posted earlier I was told by one of the managers that 7 staff had not turned up , if that’s true there must be a reason for that .
Perhaps instead of agency staff , see if there’s actual WALSALL fans who might need work .
Anyway at the bar , why can’t you use cash !! , Perhaps I’m a dinosaur but there are still many people who would prefer to pay with cash , absolutely no reason if it’s organised correctly that there couldn’t be a cash till . This along with the bars actually running out of beer and the lack of stock and queues for food is shocking really , probably a good thing people couldn’t get served as they would have run out sooner ! You would have thought that after 18 months that they could have got the off field issues sorted, but it actually seems worse , the thing is most of the the issues could be sorted without a large financial cost , but with a proper shake up of the obviously poor organisation, by someone who actually knows what they are doing , whether on a temporary consultant basis or something more long term , because if it remains how it is it will drive many away and it’s not the way to attract any potential new fans .
I’ve been going since the late 60s and I can honestly say that was probably the most depressing day I’ve had following my club .
The whole match day experience was very , very poor .
And the actual football , Oh dear

13 Likes

Having slept on yesterday’s performance - I still never want to see Osadebe in a Walsall shirt ever again.

6 Likes

I think disappointing is the right word for yesterday. It is not a catastrophe but not what any of us were expecting.

FGR were very good at this level but we could easily have scored three ourselves. The save from Phillips was fantastic; Taylor missed a free header and we hit the post. Kiernan had a good chance in the first half too but could not take the ball on. We weren’t good but we did have chances.

Critical points for me were:

1. The defence is not mobile enough and struggled with corners - how can this happen when we have so many tall players? Several times - as at Tranmere - they were able to break on us. And how can experienced defenders let players turn in the box?
  2. Osadebe (who does not deserve to be singled out all the time) was played out of position. His strength is to create chances around the box and his weakness is to be caught on the ball. To play him in the Kinsella role betrays a worrying lack of observation.
  3. Shade was not in the game at all. The back 5 formation (which I do not generally like) worked brilliantly for them and Shade, who had looked very dangerous in the earlier games, never had the ball. As a consequence, Phillips was isolated.
  4. I know Labarde is a crowd pleaser but I am not sure. He is a red card waiting to happen, the way he nags at the officials and niggles opponents. He would certainly not be my choice of captain.

Overall, it is clear that this was a rude awakening for Taylor, who may need to rethink his tactics. I think we do have better players than last year and I do think we will improve. But he has to sort out the defence. For the first 15 minutes, I thought we would win comfortably. Once we went 2 down it was all over.

8 Likes

Thanks for posting those.Two things it was clearly not a penalty and despite our overall poor performance we could have had 3 good goals rather than the one. I think yesterday showed us that our defence may be our main weakness rather than up front which we were so concerned about. We need to get White fit and play Meyanese alongside Taylor who had a fine game on Tuesday.

2 Likes