L 4-0 vs Rushall Olympic (A), Sat 10th July, 3pm

I have already seen a couple of posts on various Walsall F.C social media pages with a few fans busting a blood vessel over it. :rofl:

They will be dancing in the streets of Daw End tonight ( Maybe not but hopefully tomorrow night!)

3 Likes

I know it was against limited opposition but I thought Rushall played some good football this afternoon.
Disappointed that we couldn’t get an effort on target all game.

2 Likes

Should be used to it after the second half of last season.

WFHYS by any chance?

I didn’t recognise a single name.Were they all first year scholars? if so no wonder we lost heavily.

I don’t think it was mate, I can’t remember now, I didn’t hang around just had a chuckle. It wasn’t full on jump of a cliff just yet.

2 Likes

Yes, I believe so.

Nothing to get any knickers in a twist about.

Possibly a salutary lesson to some of our lads that getting onto the books of a professional club doesn’t mean you’ve “made it”. If you have aspirations of making a good living out of the game then as a 16-18 year old you should be able to match up an opposite number from a team in the seventh tier. Doesn’t sound like that would have been the case for many or indeed any today.

Not even the mildest of registers or blips in terms of what it means for the first team this season. But hopefully a schooling that ultimately benefits some of our youngsters. Which is a good thing.

1 Like

A tough lesson for the yutes.

Ive always thought they should play these games against big men more often in the season.

2 Likes

A big lesson for the kids, a game where they we bullied all match by a good Rushall Olympic side. A necessary lesson.

I felt of the youngsters, number 23 up top, the right back Simcox, and the first half GK Jackson all looked slightly better than the rest. But not too much to right home about.

Great experience to be back at a game though.

3 Likes

how many were there?

Seemed a right load about when i drove past at half 2.

Almost 500 I think I read.

2 Likes

481 was the attendance given on the tannoy

408 according to Rushall’s Twitter @RobHarv3y

Some Notts County style counting somewhere :joy:

Either way, it’s over 400

A reality check kick up the arse can be more of learning experience than winning a game.

If you don’t like the feeling if getting scagged, then work hard not to let it happen again.

408 was the official attendance. WFC team made up entirely of 17 year-olds. Excellent experience for the Saddlers youngsters (more of which is needed, as Johnny says, above) but not so good for Rushall (and Saddlers fans). Quite why WFC designate the away match at Leamington (only one level above Rushall) as a 1st team friendly yet the Rushall game as a Development Team friendly, I do not know. Surely, a local game that most Saddlers fans could easily get to would be a great opportunity to showcase a handful of “known” players or, better still, a couple of the 8 new signings - not to mention increased gate revenue for the Pics!! :grinning:

7 Likes

I agree with you as it seems slightly disrespectful to Rushall and it could have been a good reaching out into the community public relations exercise by the club, but fell somewhat short.

Do we ever send a strong side to Rushall? I know many people go on about how we always seem to have Albion and/or Villa (less often Blues or the Dingles) come to our place for a pre-season every year, but the same also seems to be true of us visiting Rushall and Pelsall every year - except that we expect our neighbours to bring their first teams while we never take ours.

That’s the reason I’ve still never visited either - they aren’t treated as first team games. You might get the odd squad member or a trialist but not that many.

Why that is when Leamington, Nuneaton, Willenhall, Bilston, Hednesford and even Sporting Khalsa have all been designated as first team over the years? You’ll have to ask the club.

Walsall did send a strong side to Rushall when Dean Keates (an ex-Rushall player) was manager. Rushall won! Maybe that’s the reason?

2 Likes