League Two next season

Always find these articles amusing. The reason this article exists is because Morecambe’s story is rare.

1 Like

I agree but big club or small club if you don’t do the basics and have a certain level of consistency your doomed to fail, at the same time you need to know your level will only match your budget in the end. a very small percentage will over achieve for a small amount of time.

But its about being competitive on a consistent basis I’d be more than happy spending another 3 seasons in this league if I could see growth improvement and consistency each season.

1 Like

And to be fair teams with a small budget doing well are rare … but teams with a top ten budget in their league? Less so. Considering we only needed to finish 7th to make our aim that doesn’t seem too much of a stretch.

That said, I think we are going to need every penny of that budget to fix the issues with this squad and get a respectable mid table/top half finish, I genuinely believe it is that bad.

1 Like

A levelling factor might be that there are so many in this division in the same boat

But rather strangely we appear to have suffered more than anyone else during this pandemic…according to Pomlett that is. All the other EFL teams must have had super protection from it’s effects. Just like we are the only club that cannot afford to buy any players, every recruit we make has to be a freebie, so in effect has to be garbage, but hey, we are ‘a well run club’.

So jf is in charge in who comes In…
He managed Notts county
I rater let MT and NM decide wat we want If jf gonna sort our squad he needs the sack if we flop

I think LP also said we would emerge stronger than most!! Your first comment only relates to the “rescue” package from the greed league where the compensation received was based solely on income from “gates” . We were not compensated therefore for the losses we incurred on the commercial and hospitality parts of our business which form a major part of our turnover.
Anyway I am optimistic. I don’t think we would have invested in the football side so heavily if we were not going to have a real good go at getting out of this Division. We shall know very soon whether I am right or not.

Season ticket sales from Bristol Rovers:

Bristol Rovers
3388 season ticket purchases for the 2021/22 campaign!

Should generate some cash for their team building.

Despite relegation there is probably the plus factor of people wanting to get back to the football again after the last 12 months shitshow. Perhaps in Rover’s fans eyes it’s new season, new era positivity kicking in.

2 Likes

Not wasting any time with new signings either.

Bristol Rovers are pretty well supported in fairness, regularly got 7-8k despite being bottom half of league 1 last few seasons and think they were drawing about 4-5k in non league aswell.

I wouldn’t compare to them, Northampton and Rochdale are much better to see what they do with summer business given their crowds and generally two I see as historically very similar to Walsall.

Hopefully Swindon will get -10 as has been speculated as that’s one less to worry about at top end.

How dare you suggest DC’s achievement was not all of his own doing and it was some way helped along by a fantastic budget due to gate receipts for that level.

1 Like

They were always going to bounce back out of non league quickly, just what clubs of that size do.

DC did well to then get them established in mid table league 1 within 18 months but then wasted about 1.5m on Stefan Payne and Tom Nichols which eventually ended his spell there so certainly can’t complain about budget he got there.

Bristol is probably biggest place in U.K that constantly underachieves with its football teams, Bristol City trying to get into championship play offs but keep fading away and probably won’t be long until they make some poor signings, end up back in league 1 and Steve Cotterill manages them again.

2 Likes

Barton has wasted no time in having a clear out and has been loudly outspoken in his criticism of the previous management of the Gas (as he would!). He reckons he means business and has been given the tools to do the job. He couldn’t hang on to Leahy though.

Let’s see how loud he is half way through the season.

1 Like
1 Like

Seems to be plenty of talk that Josh Gordon is a done deal. Stoke on Trent lad and obviously played for DC at Walsall.
From a vale fan this morning.

1 Like

Just sitting here thinking about pre season friendly’s and wanted to know who thinks the usual game against Villa is actually worth it other than a money spinner and whether Fullerton might stop it happening this season,I personally don’t see the point of getting tonked the game before you kick the season off.

1 Like

That deal was done long ago so I’ve heard. Back to when Flitcroft turned up there.

2 Likes

It’s a money-spinner & is probably part of the deal that lets Villa’s women play at the Banks’s.
I don’t mind this fixture.

I mind it. Completely boring now. Some fresh ideas and a different club to play (at similar level) would be fantastic IMO.