Leamington (A) Tues 9th July 7.45pm

Who do we have left worth scouting?

1 Like

He was probably looking ar a Leamington player :laughing::wink:

4th trialist might be bradley ash formally of boreham wood

Watched the game from by the Walsall dugout and found it really enlightening. Clarke seems to be very vocal and positive - wants us to press, avoid silly fouls and whatever ‘step in’ means, we’ll be doing a lot of that.

Also a lot of discussion between Clarke, Dutton and Stewart, each of whom deliver advice and encouragement to the players.

6 Likes

Perhaps they should give advice and encouragement to UTS or would they just be “happy clappers”

2 Likes

So after tonight’s game was there any players stood out ,any positives?,I don’t think results matter too much at this stage but there needs to be a few players who stand out who are trying to get a club

We were okay in both halves. Better in the first as you would expect from having mostly first teamers. Robbo was untested. back 5 all quite solid with Pring impressing me again. Kinsella and Sinclair were okay and Guthrie had a few touches of quality but other than that wasn’t up to much. Didn’t look fit at all though. Gordon battled well up front but Adebayo next to him really impressed me, won a lot in the air, battled well, had a few nice touches and looked really bright and positive. Also took on information really well from Marcus Stewart and Darrell Clarke multiple times, so the question marks over his attitude look a little better for me.

Second half Rose had nothing to do but pick at out the back of net. Leak looked quite nervous which is to be expected from a young lad. Callum Cockerill-Mollett had a poorer half than the first one but this probably comes from playing in a much worse team with a inexperienced centre half next to him and a trialist winger ahead of him. Cameron Norman in RCB of a 3 was okay, decision making was questionable and as much as he looks well built physically to play there, mentally I think he much more suits being in RB. Koby Arthur looked fine till he hurt his right leg, was a little bit constrained in his creativity by being in RWB though. Alfie Bates impressed me again and I had the exact same opinion that Darrell Clarke had when I sneakily overheard him talking to Marcus Stewart about how he really likes how he isn’t afraid to have a go even after he miss hit a couple of long range passes in a row, but still he kept trying them. Jack Kiersey was pants again IMO, bring nothing and the only good thing I saw him do was a nice dummy move and touch but other than that he was overshadowed by our young Alfie, which says a lot about Kiersey. Hardy was positive and lively again with an eye for a pass and a composure on the ball which we have missed since Oztumer and Sawyers. Kairo Edwards John looked very exciting, pacy with great feet. Was much better when he went from LWB to RM after Arthur went off for Foulkes (who also played okay for a youth teamer) and we switched from a 352 to a 442. Capped this off with a lovely move where he linked up with the striker trialist who I overheard being called Bradley, and then drove into the box and put it into the far corner. Very positive impression made by him. Candlin and Tralist Bradley didn’t have much to work with, had a few good touches but mostly it was scrappy and trying to lay off for midfielders after we had launched a diag. Neither played bad nor good.

Again very impressed with all the coaching staff. I can tell I’m getting older (nearly 23!!) as I now prefer to be near the dugout hearing Darrell Clarke and seeing the whole pitch than being behind the goal. All very vocal and Darrell Clarke was also quite funny at time too, especially when he found Tom Leak going on an underlap amusing and when he was shouting at Kiersey for wandering off. His quote about chopping them off at the knees needs to be written on the whiteboard at the training ground and in the changing room as a warning.

Nice ground Leamington, enjoyed it.

25 Likes

First half, Guthrie was excellent and the defence was much better organised than the first game. Front two worked well together. We still need that creative midfielder. The second half was massively better than Saturday. The trialists were lively, well taken goal. Kiersay put in a much better performance. I’m definitely a bit more positive than at Alfreton. More work to be done though.

2 Likes

Really enjoyed how he coached Bates through the second half, too. That lad has a great range of passing.

3 Likes

Didn’t want to comment on the Alfreton game alone as with the first friendly of any season it’s just 11 to 22 lads told to go out and blow off cobwebs. So I’ll review the 2 games together.

Roberts - nothing to do but his kicking seems to be better

Clarke - man mountain and quicker than you think. Doesn’t shirk a tackle, can see him becoming a fans favourite

Scarr - solid against lower level opposition, still unsure of him

Cockerill-Mollett - definitely one for the future, you can see he is very composed and just need to gain some experience. Hope to see him around the first team now

Facey - been disappointed in him over 2 games, expecting him to skin his full back but always wants to turn back inside or backward. Looks like a lack of confidence atm.

Pring - Picked the ball up in his stride and drove forward. Think he is going to be a good signing

Guthrie - can tell he has played at a good level but would need legs around him. Worth seeing again.

Sinclair - if you’ve seen him in a Bristol Rovers game then you know what he’s about, so quick to get to players and doesn’t leave you alone. Always involved. Again, going to be a fans favourite

Kinsella - does what Kinsella does, his driving forward from midfield has been the main source of attacking threat. So much better than just being a ratter.

Gordon - excellent movement and work rate. Him and Adebayo looking lively. So good to have a mobile forward line

Adebayo - really impressed so far, movement is good, quick, strong and does the back to goal stuff well. Doesn’t aimlessly flick the ball on, finds a players feet instead.

Rose - nothing to do, nothing could be done about the goal

Norman - the most composed of the back 3. This could be an option because I really can’t see him as a RWB

Leak - one for the future. Reminds me of Preston when he came through. Looks very solid. Done well in his 2 games

Bates - this guy has got it, he’s been very impressive, he plays at a high tempo and is technically good enough to pull it off. I dont think we can class him as dobbos replacement though. His age will mean that he’s will have some awful games for us and fans will get on his back. If managed correctly. He is the next to come though.

Kiersey - based on the 2 games I don’t think alfreton or Leamington would have signed him. However, he was better this game than last. I’ll wait until I’ve seen more of him to get a real opinion

Hardy - he’s not oztumer and the comparisons need to stop here. Looks lost in the hole and not in the game enough. Doesn’t find the space as easily or have the ability to get out of the tight situations. I’d like to see him wider as he grew into the game on the left. Based on his own merits you can see he is a tidy player and can be creative.

Arthur - I wouldn’t like to sign him. He wasn’t explosive enough as a winger and was shown up by Edwards-John. I think there is better out there.

Edwards-John - he has talent but drifted in and out the game a bit. Showed a bit of what he’s got to get the goal and he is definitely worth looking at again maybe with the first team around him. Like the look of him

Candlin - bigger than the last time I saw him play and better. Came off his man to receive the ball a few times and turn and I’d like to see him get the opportunity because I think he is good enough. Just needs the experience

Trialist - full of endeavour but if you put him next to Gordon and Adebayo then he is not in the same league. Actually think out of the 2 so far. Macalinden is a better bet

Surprised we had no other CB’s here as it’s clear DC has bought players to use the 3-5-2 option. Think we need a more creative CM not an AM but someone who can do the defensive work too. We do need another striker but i am impressed with how the front 2 are working together. It’s definitely not the doom and gloom it’s being made out to be and today showed that, in week 2 of pre season, DC has stepped up training again and the team are starting to mould. All positive from me.

11 Likes

In two pre-season games, was designated set-piece taker, or it was random who is responsible for it?

…from my time in the Bloxwich Combination 5th division as a "Mick Evans but without the culture , type fullback " , step in means to defuse a dangerous situation by putting some “time” into your opponent , in a Roy Keane , leave something on 'em sort of way.

I’m sure it’s in all the coaching manuals.

Kinsella took pretty much all of the corners and deep free kicks. Though today Norman and Adebayo hit two direct free kicks.

1 Like

Thanks for the match update guys ,much appreciated :+1:t2:

Great round up :+1:t2:

1 Like

A useful workout, things that stood out for me was the quality of Roberts kicking has improved, Adeboyo will be an handful for defenders, Clarke, Pring, Sinclair will be fan favourites, we need an experienced creative midfielder, we will play 352 but DC will switch if needed, DC and his coaching team will do us proud…2 or 3 experienced players to help the younger lads and we will be just fine.

2 Likes

Thought Adebayo was impressive yesterday. He and Gordon will put together a good little partnership once they properly click.

The goalscorer trialist looked good but would like to see him again at Nuneaton, don’t want to sign him to see he ends up being a 1 good game, 3 ■■■■ games type.

Don’t think we’re far off though, as others have said a couple more experienced heads and that’s it I think.

4 Likes

My Main Positive from last night was Alfie Bates, looks like he could be the package

2 Likes

Alfie was the most stand out player in the last two games.

He could quite easily replace the outgoing Dobson as with any kid though he will have awful games too, good job we dont have fans that will get on their backs :rofl:

5 Likes

Thank you. So Kinsella it is then. At least for indirect set pieces. Direct are always something different.