Mark Gillespie

Has left and signed for Motherwell on a two year deal.

meh…

1 Like

I actually quite liked him (I know that’s not popular), but Liam is clearly number one so there’s no point having a higher paid and presumably unhappy number 2. Good move for all involved.

No loss. Didn’t really like what I saw of him.

Best decision all round. However, I hope we can get an experienced head in as number 2 to give some guidance to Liam. That might mean another raid on non-league.

1 Like

He was rubbish … see ya

1 Like

Confirmed by SkySports. When’s Jimmy coming back?

No fresh Walsall transfer news today again from the Express and Star. Second deal of the day :joy::joy::joy:

Weird that we’ve already made a few moves and that there’s regularly no news but they manage to find at least two for the other midland clubs…

Logical move all round really - good luck to him.

More waste off the wage bill. Top work.

1 Like

Wish him no ill but not good enough. no loss.

The two goals he conceded at Fleetwood perfectly showed his level.

Onwards.

I wish Gillespie well and if I’ve got my maths right you could argue that his last gasp save at home to Oldham kept us up!

I think he will be one of a few who are contracted but Keates wouldn’t mind facilitating a move elsewhere. If the signing of Ginnelly indicates an old school 442 I’m pretty sure Keates will want full backs who are good at the orthodox full-back type stuff so Leahy and Devlin could well be others in a similar position.

1 Like

A good move for him and not a bad one for us…agree we need another 'keeper with some experience though.

That was a worldie save. He was one of those keepers that kept out the difficult ones but seemed to struggle with anything straight at him.

2 Likes

Easily replaceable. Every keeper in the league is a great shot stopper these days so should get someone at least as good but cheaper.

Really pleased with this one, no point having a Senior Pros wage for bench warming. Good luck to Mark however.

Devlin and Leahy may hopefully also move back north of the border…

I think he did a good job. He was stuck behind a leaky defence for most of his games. Hope he does well at Motherwell.

Great move for us, i think it shows that Oaks will have his own idea who he wants to replace him, and who he would like to work with, i expect a new keeper to be announced within the next couple of weeks :grinning:

Good one to get off the wage bill.

Was very average last season and would imagine he’s on a decent wage considering he relocated from Carlisle.

Roberts is much better so he’d have been a pretty expensive number two for this level.

Would imagine he was one of the players Keates was on about moving on from the contracted players so a promising transfer campaign so far.

1 Like

I’m not disappointed that he’s leaving as I believe that there are better options out there. I wasn’t too impressed when we signed him last summer, I was expecting someone better. Having said that, we’ve had worse, and he has made some very complimentary comments about the club in his leaving statement. He sounds like a decent, hard-working pro and I wish him all the best in non-league, sorry, Scottish football.

1 Like

A good move for both player and club. It will be interesting to see who is drafted in as cover for Liam Roberts who fully deserves to be Walsall’s No1.