Mark Rees---Ace Full Back!

Does anyone remember his memorable season at right back at Fellows Park. I spent many a happy time in The Shed watching him roughly dump aspiring Left Wingers into touch. He would have been red carded every game now!!
He was also one of the best players without the ball we have had, if you get my meaning!

3 Likes

Used to run the length of the pitch just to thump someone.

2 Likes

I really don’t remember him playing full back.

In terms of his temper, I still remember the promotion season under Buckley and a crunch away match at Huddersfield in front of a vociferous home support. Rees had a bit of a tangle with an opposing player as the ball went over our goal line and promptly turned around and head butted the player, leaving him on the ground. Such was the way of football back then, he somehow survived with only a booking and, if memory serves me correctly, we came away with a very important 1-1 draw.

3 Likes

Ace player. One of my favourites at the time. Good old Reesy

I can’t remember who it was we played but there was that one time he came on as a late sub at a free kick - and before the ball had landed he’d earned himself a red card! :rofl:

2 Likes

I don’t think he was nasty,he reminded me of one of those dogs that when you walked in their house,it would jump up at you,lick you,trip you over,and no matter what the owner said it wouldn’t stop. (that reminds me,I use to have a girlfriend like that).

1 Like

That was against Newport. I think it was the last game of the season and didn’t the winner top the league? We lost 2-4 and I remember Rees came on, a ball was not played to him right on the touchline but up above his head. He leaped up, caught it and placed it for a throw in. Inexplicably, the ref booked him and then, not long after, he got a second booking for a foul and we were down to 10 men

When he came on for his first match the look on Buckleys face after just a few mins on the pitch. Buckley told Don Penn to drop back to cover the hole Reece left at the time Penn was one of the leagues top goal getters.Seconds later Reece got the ball head down not looking for any team mate set off for goal ran 20 - 30 yards and wellied it BOOM top corner, Reece took off back down the pitch no WFC player could get near him. The look on the Bucks face Priceless. Happy days.

He was one of those players who did everything at 100mph.
I think he could only run in straight lines too, no mazy runs or dribbling

1 Like

When we sent Sheff Utd down in 81 and loads of their fans got on the pitch afterwards attacking some of our players, 1 or 2 got a taste of Rees’s right boot. One of our finest in one of our finest teams.

3 Likes

Wasn’t he the fastest player in the league at some point? Brings back some find memories.

1 Like

Newport County

One of my all time fave players was Rico. So many memories of him in full flight was a joy to watch. Always got time to chat to the fans at functions loves talking about his time at Fellows Park.

Didn’t he once get sent off for an awful (mistimed, as in about a day late) challenge on the Derby 'keeper?

I remember it well mate, do you remember Micky Finn swearing blind that he had beat a couple of blades fans up before the game? :joy: also remember some of our players egging us on to climb over the fence to get on the pitch but it was to high.

1 Like

I remember that, but it was for two bookings. The first was for a foul, which to this day I believe was committed by Steve Waddington. The second was when he caught a ball sailing over his head, just to save time. I’m not sure it should have been a booking offence anyway, but was made worse by the fact that he was actually standing off the pitch when he caught it. Terrible refereeing.

The Rotherham game, that’s the one I always think of first when his name gets mentioned.

2 Likes

I think Newport got promoted but because we didn’t win Huddersfield won the league

1 Like

I will never forget that dirty bar-steward Souness doing him on purpose in the first 10 minutes of the 2nd leg of the Milk cup semi at fellows park , after his once in a life time 2 great crosses in the first leg at Anfield leading to the 2 goals , he could do 100 yards in virtual olympic standard, just didnt know what to do with the ball bless him

1 Like

His performance on the snow and ice at Rotherham was as good as Vardy.

3 Likes