Meeting with SLO

Excellent post Davidsaddler1
He’s got no shame at all, anyone with any sort of self respect would have refused it in the manner he was appointed.

Let’s be absolutely honest though, he suppose to represent the supporters, those same, supporters that have no respect for him, so basically it’s totally pointless.
So he will continue wondering around the ground on matchdays like a lost sheep.
Got to feel sorry for the bloke in some ways, obviously needed a bit of self importance.

2 Likes

Actually he’s not supposed to represent the supporters.
He’s got a position at the club to act as a point of contact for supporters and the club.
That’s a requirement from the EFL.

2 Likes

Still think it would have been an intelligent move by the club to have an elected supporter or at the very least someone that hadn’t got history with certain board members.

But when did this current regime ever do the sensible thing.

1 Like

Thanks for posting that @el_nombre, interesting to hear his thoughts. I agree his heart is in right place and he is no doubt a passionate fan. Fair play to him for meeting you face to face. He has mostly replied to my e-mails but doesn’t really answer questions i put to him. Presumably cos he hasn’t got the answers. He doesn’t have power or resources to influence things. He’s been stuck there to face the flack directed at the club from fans who are sick and tired after years of decline and being treated with contempt by the Board.

5 Likes

Goes something like this:
Leigh this is Graham. I used to work with him at the Accountancy Practice and has come to matches over the years.
LP. Have you experience at Director level at Board Meetings and can you keep that information secret?
G. Yes of course.
LP. That’s good. You are selected. Have another drink.

Only the Bonserite muppets could ignore the huge public relations opportunity to engage with the fan base properly for the first time to select a SLO with openness and clarity having firstly set out the CV basic requirements to be selected.
Let’s be honest - the Bonserite muppets (the ones that redacted the Minutes of a Meeting they didn’t attend) are absolutely shixx scared of anyone external entering their domain and seeing the real Accounts and hearing the real issues that go on behind the secret curtain.
Many of us on this Forum have operated at Board Level and have been true and loyal Supporters for decades but that of course would give them sleepless nights.

5 Likes

top post. sums up how i feel UTS

1 Like

This point always makes me laugh - fact is nobody knows if it is a top 7 budget or not. If we have spent on Wilkinson, Labadie, Monthe and Taylor (as was) we could spent that money - just the signings have been pap - that doesn’t sit with Pomlett.

There is no divine right to be top 7 if you spend the money - look at Salford, Bradford etc.

2 Likes

Salford must have had the number one budget in league 2 ever since they got promoted from the national league and they still can’t get out of this league or anywhere near it.

1 Like

This is something I was looking at last week https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/league-two/marktwerteverein/wettbewerb/GB4/plus/1?stichtag=2022-02-01

It’s only on transfer value rather than actual playing budget (and more than likely mostly estimated rather than actual figures) but it had us bang on were we actually were at the time. Not a massive correlation with other teams performance so far though - just look where FGR are ranked!

BTW I found it out after being seeing this similar item come up in my Google News feed https://www.derbyshiretimes.co.uk/sport/football/every-national-league-squad-s-value-and-how-chesterfield-and-notts-county-rank-3561676

It piqued my interest as it was all doom and gloom on here and we were talking NFL next season (still not safe yet!) and I was interested on how we’d stack up. It just shows that money isn’t everything, it’s making the most of what you have that counts (i.e. top 7 budget does not guarantee a top 7 place - you have to work for it).

2 Likes

Not the point. It wasn’t about quality, it was about not even being able to put a full compliment of players together covering for injuries and suspensions in certain positions.

We have four or five experienced pros that I acknowledge will be on a decent salary. That’s not exactly reflective of a top 7 squad.

Actually, yes he is and acknowledged so in the meeting, as per Pomletts comments on his appointment. You’re mixing up an SLO with a representative on the board. Which is funny as that’s what he did to begin with too.

Depends how much you pay those four or five.

Well if we have blown a top 7 budget on four or five players that raises even more serious questions about the director of football! Jesus Christ how would that be a justification?!

1 Like

Also depends on how much you are paying the likes of Holden and the loans.

Not justifying - devils advocate.

1 Like

You’re still missing this point:

And besides, I never said having a top 7 budget guarantees you a top 7 finish, I said reflected in your squad. In other words, not threadbare and staring at non league.

Your post is just unfortunate to be the one I have made my point to - a number of people have posted elsewhere top 7 budget - yeah right.

1 Like

I’m not saying I believe it is. I’m saying if you’re told that fans will expect better.

Here is the EFL regulation in full:
20.6 Each Club shall appoint a supporter liaison officer who shall:

20.6.1 have responsibility for the delivery of the Club’s policy with regard to its stakeholders insofar as that policy concerns supporters;

20.6.2 act as a point of contact for supporters; and

20.6.3 liaise regularly with the Club’s management (including, without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing, on safety and security-related issues).

You’re missing the point though. Whittaker is also appointed to the WFC Board.

The below quote is taken from the website article announcing the news. Pomlett clearly states that GW will be representing the views of supporters.

Walsall Chairman Leigh Pomlett is delighted to welcome Graham onto the Board.

“I am very pleased to confirm the appointment of Graham Whittaker to the Board of Walsall Football Club,” Leigh said.

“As we try to further strengthen the ties between the club and supporters, I have asked Graham to represent the views of the supporters at future Board meetings and to be a problem solver as issues arise which they will from time to time.“

2 Likes

I wonder how many times I have to explain, as I did to him, that the issue isn’t with being SLO, but with being presented as a supporter representative on the board of directors :thinking::thinking:

Jesus Christ I’ll put it in caps for you: HE ACKNOWLEDGED THIS FACT IN THE MEETING HIMSELF