Meeting with SLO

SLO just sent me an e-mail saying he was sorry to hear about my Dad not being well, inviting us to a match and he said he’d bring some of his memorabilia down from FP days to show Dad. Not sure if it will be practical as Dad’s dementia seems to be getting worse but he does still respond to fotos sometimes. Show him the George Andrews foto from Newcastle 1974 and he beams and tells me the whole story about the pitch inspection again. Heard the story dozens of times now but will never get tired of hearing it. But thought that was a very kind offer from Graham. Fair play, credit where it’s due.

29 Likes

Odd replies.

1 Like

Agreed.
Is it supposed to be sarcastic?
The bloke has no idea.

1 Like

He wasn’t told he doesn’t like social media, it was a statement he made.

Poor attempt at sarcasm.

10 Likes

Jamie Fullarton believing that confidence is the main issue with performances is horribly ironic. Fair play to the club for this appointment, but I don’t see anything fundamentally changing until JF has gone.

Seems to be saying he likes it when the message is positive, when people arent saying what he wants to hear he doesnt, very odd bloke.

:joy:

14 Likes

Wonder if “Here we go” is shorthand for “Look at what we’re doing, why aren’t you grateful? Quit your whining!” :thinking:

3 Likes

Fantastic

At the weekend I noticed that the e-mails that those of us on the mailing list get from the club are still showing Copyright 2019. I included Graham in the note to the club point this out, and today I notice that in the e-mail about Flynn’s appointment it shows 2022.

The only other contact I’ve had was when my ticket for the Sutton game was missing from the envelope of several away tickets I picked up from the ticket office and it was too late to mail it to me, or for me to get down to the ground. It was sorted for me to pick it up at our turnstile at the game.

Both pretty small beer in the scheme of things but it shows he/they are listening and I have no complaints against him.

1 Like

He doesn’t help himself at all. I never really criticised him before, then the stupid dossier of fan criticism which made me question him, now this. It’s like he wants to pick a fight with fans. Odd and not right at all for the SLO ‘job’ when he’s doing this.

2 Likes

Here we go.

2 Likes

Scream if you wanna go faster! Here we go!

1 Like

Muppet

I’ve been called worse mate :wink:

1 Like

Well guess who has slid into my DM’s on Twitter this morning after pointing out that he himself had said that he doesn’t like Social Media, offering to meet and “clear the confusion”.

I’ve told him that it’s not necessary as he himself tweeted that he doesn’t like it so there’s no confusion.

7 Likes

Oh and also the fact that the ISSA minutes recorded that he did not like Social Media and even in the ones the club wished to put out, the club did not seek for this to be changed.

ISSA Statement - 26.01.22 - Independent Saddlers Supporters’ Association (issawalsall.org)

5 Likes

NB This is not an endorsement of the SLO in terms of them being the right person for the job, or whether they adequately fulfill the duties of the role - but I don’t have any beef with them personally from the limited dealings I’ve had so far.

I know I’m going to get my head bitten off for going against the tide but …

Not liking social media (as a mechanism for communication) is not the same as not using it (from choice or ability). And (I don’t actually know just making a general observation) them not liking might be more due to the way social media is often hijacked to spread false information and vile abuse (as highlighted in the Darryl Clarke thread at the moment) rather than not having the competence to use it.

Twittergram, Facespace, Tiktube and the like are good vehicles to get a message out to a mass audience very quickly when used correctly. But they do also allow keyboard warriors and their ilk to respond back in a way their never would in a face to face situation - and also all the spam and inane dross that gets put out.

If you put out a mass e-mail to known recipients then it might be old hat but you are pretty much assured of any responses being reasonable (even if critical). Put the same thing out on Twitter or whatever and you are almost guaranteed to get some anonymous abuse in the public domain which sometimes forces positive responses down a private channel and makes the overall shape of the response look skewed.

BTW I am very IT literate (I work in the industry) and am more than capable of using all social media - but, in general, I DON’T LIKE IT. I don’t want to live my life in public so to speak so I only make use of WhatsApp, Viber, Skype etc that are more 1-to-1 or small groups, and leave all that “Here’s what I had for my tea last night” and “yoRe a disGrate im gonna kill u” stuff to the wife and kids.

BTW2 It always tickles me how many of the people who go all frothy at the mouth about the UK being a police state and how we are all being monitored and controlled, quite happily walk about with mobile phones and apps that announces their every move and thought to the world never mind some shadowy spooks at GCHQ. :rofl:

17 Likes

@AndyWTaylor - you are always the voice of reason! :slightly_smiling_face:

I think it is well known from my previous musings that I have huge reservations about the SLO and I have yet to have any of them satisfied. I think his tweet last night, stating that he was “told” he doesn’t like social media, was ill-judged, given everything that is already out there. I told him in my DM back that I think it was also a poor judgement to morph his own personal account into the SLO one - should have started afresh.

6 Likes

His problem is he’s completely unfit for the role for a whole heap of reasons. Whether he likes social media or not is neither here or there, he can’t use it properly at all is his problem. Asking people to DM him when his DM’s are closed is a classic. He hasn’t responded to any emails I have sent asking direct questions about matchday issues. If he despises questions to the club which may involve criticism from fans that he is meant to represent he’s clearly in the wrong job. It’s in the job title.

7 Likes