Michael Flynn Officially Appointed

Not a bad week

2 Likes

Given that the ā€œnew manager bounceā€ worked for McDonald on Saturday, if Flynn can get us a result at FGR then I think we should sack him and bring in someone new for Northampton and then same again for Hartlepool. Weā€™d soon be up the right end of this league. :grin:

16 Likes

I understand totally, Sid. Itā€™s going to take some time to get over the trauma of whatā€™s happened this season. But, I want to be positive. Realistically, Iā€™m not going to stop supporting a team Iā€™ve followed for over 50 years. So, I need some hope. I hope itā€™s been a salutary lesson to Pomlett and co this season: you canā€™t gamble in this league - one bad season and youā€™re in non-league football. The only way is up - thereā€™s no other way.

2 Likes

mate. this killed me :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Ok we have established that he can only sign free agents to bolster the team(thanks @Blazing_Saddler )
And i think that we are desperate for the very least a striker, are there any out there?

We got to see his initial approach in his fairly early months at Newport in that cup match. They looked pretty unspectacular but very well organised, which in his early days here is probably the best he and we can hope for at the moment.

2 Likes

I like this idea, Andy. We could be like HIGNFY when Angus Deaton was caught with his trousers down: a different presenter every week. We could have a different manager every week: Boris should be free fairly soon - perhaps he could have a go. Win or lose, weā€™d have a bostin after match party!

3 Likes

Fill your boots - https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/spieler/vertragslosespieler/statistik/1/plus//galerie/0?ausrichtung=alle&spielerposition_id=alle&land_id=alle&altersklasse=&wettbewerb_id=alle&seit=alle&yt0=Show

As has been pointed out on here before, Hal Robson Kanu hasnā€™t found a club since West Brom let him go at the end of last season and heā€™s still only 32.

3 Likes

That is exactly what we need. Someone who can organise a football team. Not just to get out of the mess this season, but it is probably the best way to get out of this division. If you are organised and can find a few players that can do damage at the top end of the pitch then you are in with a shout.

Since being relegated we were never really organised under Clarke or Taylor. Clarke with all the chaos of changing formations 3 times a week and Taylor with his stubbornness of playing the same way all the time. You could argue we were most organised under Dutton.

Letā€™s hope this appointment works out for us, we need something positive.

9 Likes

and trained with us by all accounts earlier in the season

1 Like

Well at least he knows what a decent striker looks like. Didnā€™t he sign Jamille Matt when he was at Newport?

1 Like

He did I believe and Stevensā€¦

I wonder who he will bring in as his assistant?

Youā€™re right, but to be fair one of the things that was harped on about was breeding continuity in style of play/philosophy throughout the football club even when changing managers. Was kind of the point I was trying to make about MacDonald playing hoofball (effectively) for a game but why he might not get the job.

Iā€™m happy with the appointment, but that seems to have gone out the window, what, 6 months in? Iā€™m still struggling to see what a director of football does 6 months in.

Iā€™ll reiterate it for when itā€™s misunderstood, I donā€™t really care how we play if we win. It just doesnā€™t say much for all those platitudes and also means Taylor was working under a different set of rules if that has now gone out the window and itā€™s win at all costs (again, an attitude Iā€™m fine with).

Does he usually work with one?

Organisation, clean sheets, goals from set pieces, a system the players understand, togetherness and a bit of flair gets you out of this brutal division. Hope he can do it with us. Good luck

Well thatā€™s a novelty :joy: but knowing our luck we will probably stop creating the normal 20 corners a game we get :laughing:

Wayne Hatswell was and still is the assistant manager at Newport and obviously joined Newport when Flynn took over initially

1 Like

Iā€™d assume that Flynn is on the ball enough to be aware of the animosity felt towards Fullerton from some quarters and has taken that into consideration when deciding to take the job.
Having played such a key-role in the resurrection of Newport in recent seasons I would think heā€™s a strong enough character to have made it clear what he wants from the outset.

4 Likes