Mick Kearns

After over 40 years of loyal service to the club. With a short and unfortunate dalliance with the dingle scum. Mick Kearns has retired from active duty with our club. He gave a massive part of his playing career then all of his life after football to Walsall FC. What a legend. Hopefully his enthusiasm for working in the community is carried on

23 Likes

Top club man. Always a joy to speak to.Total legend. Hopefully DCā€™s team will give him something to be proud of whilst he is watching from the stands.

3 Likes

Only one word needed ā€œLegendā€.

2 Likes

50 years ago today Mick Kearns signed for Saddlers.
Mick Kearns celebrates 50 years of association with Walsall FC - News - Walsall FC (saddlers.co.uk)

4 Likes

As Locky said above, several years ago, ā€œlegendā€ really applies to this man. Not only a superb goalkeeper who was one of my heroes back in the 70s, but also a wonderful human being. Not only has he done tremendous work at the club in various roles over the years, he has gone way above and beyond just the remit of those roles. Itā€™s nice that the club are recognising him in this way.

5 Likes

Remember him running the Struggling Monkey in Aldridge, back in the day. Absolute top bloke

1 Like

Total club legend even taking account of his dalliance with the Dingles and running a Conservative Club :grin: An incredible servant to WFC and the local community both in his playing days and since. And on top of that a lovely bloke, my Dad always spoke very highly of him as a person. I spoke to Mick many times at away matches when he was still doing commentary and he always asked about my Dad. Top bloke and a true Saddler

2 Likes

Last attempt at a fanzine (remember them?) the Walsall fans did (including some UTSers) had a cartoon strip ā€˜Mick Kearns Learnsā€™. I enjoyed it.

3 Likes

Maybe not the best keeper weā€™ve ever had, but a great servant and ambassador for the club - and yes, a true legend.

3 Likes

One of our few internationals while playing for us. And remember Highbury, where he filled in for the injured Ron Green.

I hope he is still in decent health and that he gets free admission for all the games.

4 Likes

Not the very best, but I think we perhaps underestimate just how good he was. Certainly one of the finest keepers to play for us and one of the very finest men to be associated with us.

As Laundryman says, I remember him making his comeback at Highbury, when heā€™d retired and was running the con club!

3 Likes

Yes a good guy is Mick. The fact he ran the Conservative Club is a plus for me :grinning: I would say he was a good goalkeeper not a Phil Parkes or Mark Wallington but up there with some of our best like Jimmy, John Christie and Terry Carling. I hope he is enjoying his retirement and maybe I will bump into him at a game or two this year although I have given up my pass for the Savoy Lounge.

2 Likes

Probably why my uncle liked him.

1 Like

Fantastic servant to this club both as a player coach and ambassador proper legend always remember Mick had a fondness to for wearing a cap when the sun was out something you donā€™t see much today .

2 Likes

The first time I saw Mick play was before he joined us, playing for Oxford at Walsall Wood (canā€™t remember why they were there). At half-time when everybody else went back into the changing room, he stayed on the pitch and let kids take penalties against him. Brilliant.

2 Likes

Iā€™d be even more impressed with the legend that is MK if heā€™d pissed in the beer during that rolešŸ˜…

2 Likes

Knew Mick years ago played against his son who was also a keeper he actually recommended me to Walsall but Iā€™d already agreed to join West Brom as a schoolboy :roll_eyes::joy:

3 Likes

Great servant to the club. Decent goalkeeper, has done excellent work for the club for over 50 years.
Well done, thy good and faithful servant!

Big Mick what a legend!!

I can remember when I turned up for a snooker match at Aldridge cons was served by mick you could have knocked me down with a feather always will be a legend

4 Likes