Middlesbrough U-21 (EFL Trophy) Tue 9 Oct, 7pm

It seems even WM have lost faith in this joke of a competition.

For some reason they previously had live commentary on all of the games but this has been sacked off tonight…

When will the football league bow to the inevitable and put this competition out of its misery.

Only when the sponsorship cash dries up …

7 goals in 3 games so far according to Sky-all to nil. A blip ,or have some teams stopped even pretending to take it seriously already?
EDIT They aren’t putting all the games up on the strip.

We appear to be taking it seriously … the corner count (at 52 min) is 11 Walsall, 0 Middlesbrough.

60 minutes, Middlesbrough substitute (injury)

’Boro now taking it seriously, scoring in the 67th minute. 2-1 to Walsall now …

(that was their first shot on target…)

We’ve had 19 attempts on goal to their 5, and 14 corners to their 0.

In the other group match, it’s Port Vale 0 Burton Albion 0 at half-time.

Walsall substitute, 77 min - no idea who!

Ismail for Gordon.

1 Like

702 in attendance.

1 Like

A 2-goal cushion is always better … Now 3-1 to the Saddlers (89 min)

Cook!!!

Goal! Walsall 3, Middlesbrough U21 1. Andy Cook (Walsall) right footed shot from outside the box to the top left corner.

9 Middlesbrough fans. :grin:

Walsall win. What’s not to like?

Indeed.

(Going back to sleep now. It’s 3.55am in HK.)

Insomnia or a deliberate decision to stay up?

That means two of their players moms didn’t turn up.

2 Likes

Sad indictment of this competition and football in general that I’m pleased we won because of the twenty grand we’ve now potted from this competition rather than any kind of sporting reason.

**edit. We’ve actually potted forty grand as I had forgotten about the £20k “participation fee”.

I wake up automatically for midweek games.

1 Like

A good game although it was a little like men against boys. We could have been 4 or 5 up at HT. We got a little over confident and gave them a really soft goal which was cancelled out by a thunderbolt from Cook. Morris and Kouyhar had really good games although the latter faded towards the end. A word of praise too to Bates who rather like Ronan and Kinsella is in the Keates mould…maybe we have a production line somewhere turning them out! Some of Ronan’s passes were real class but he still has a lot to learn if he wishes to make it as a box to box midfielder in the league… I see his role as coming on late in games helping us open defences if we continue with 4-4-2 however in a system with 3 or 4 across the middle he would be very useful.UTS

3 Likes

Been to the match this evening with my 6 year old. Thought all the lads looked as though they were up for it and looking to get into dean is thinking for the up and coming games. That in it self can only be a good thing … impressed with Morris who looks sharp and hungry … Kouhyar had a his best game for the first team though I have my doubts against stronger opposition… and also the young lad Bates who I think shows a lot of promise . He could be some player in a year or 2 . UTS

Good result and good to see Cook get on the scoresheet. Hopefully that little boost he needs.