Millennium Play Offs celebration

Would it have meant anything to them?

Looked like it was a great night, disappointed I couldn’t go. Looked like Tony Barras enjoyed himself from a couple of videos I have seen :grinning:

Great memories that will never be forgotten. Those Graydon years were something very special.

Without trying to bring the thread down, something for the kids to remember in 20 years time would be nice now.

3 Likes

Hoping the players will be in the lounge before today’s game, arriving early in hope :heart:

Regrettably they have ‘nothing’, who will remember any of the players from our last few seasons in 20 years time? To have been in the same room as Jorge and Sir Ray would have been fabulous, unforgettable experience, some of my all time heroes along with Buckley.
The club needs a few heroes, what we have is just Sunday morning journeymen just earning a salary…how we could do with the passion and energy that was so obvious with this crew!

3 Likes

If only we had a team like this now with that true die hard spirit.

Great to see them all again at the Bezza for what was a very special season!! I will certainly never ever forget that season and that day at the Millennium Stadium. Gives me goosebumps…

4 Likes

Reading this thread has depressed me :sob:

How come Chunky?

Obviously the game has changed in a lot of ways but we were talking about the difference in the character teams had then compared to now. Not just that team but also in football in general.

So much drive, and pride in their performances. Yes they liked a drink but every one of them gave everything, and the team was full of leaders. If you’d been in that squad, can you imagine the confidence you’d have had walking out alongside players like Wacka, Goodman, Jorge, Barras etc

4 Likes

Because of witnessing and remembering some of the best football the saddlers ever produced, to the situation we are now in, and thinking that i will never see that ever again.

6 Likes

Keep the faith mate. There will be more great seasons to come I’m sure.

One thing that was really evident last night was seeing the camaraderie between the players and the admiration they had for Sir Ray. That togetherness was very special.

I looked at Leigh Pomlett at the end when the karaoke was kicking off and I sense he was watching thinking “I want some of that for us”.

1 Like
5 Likes

From the event programme

15 Likes

I haven’t been able to make the game but I’m guessing the pre match entertainment with the legends has gone down well.

Pedro & Jorge, then Ropes and John Hodge (not part of that squad), and finally Sir Ray. All warmly received in the Stadium Suite - probably be a bit louder at halftime.

1 Like

It was a brilliant night last night.
Everyone mingled, and both Fans and players had a fantastic evening.
Jorge still looks in good enough shape to play - I asked him to bring his boots for today’s game, and TOm Bennett looks fitter now than when he played !
Shout out to Wayne Thomas and whacka who jointly did a brilliant job of hosting, and a special mention for Sir Ray who is a class act.

4 Likes

So glad that I went to this last night.
It was exactly what you would have expected and despite the inevitable predictability of what was going to happen, the event transcended that with the warmth, buzz and love in the room.
The food was good as well.
Lovely to speak to Tom Bennett and Jimmy, amongst others.

3 Likes

Stuck in a traffic jam with the engine off for 20 minutes on the way home last night, I passed the time thinking of a combined eleven from Uncle Rays two promotion teams and came up with

Walker
Brightwell Viveash Roper Pointon
Wrack Bennett Henry Matias
Leitao Rammell

Playing 442, of course, and with a decent bench, Emberson, Marsh, Gadsby, Barras, Tillson, Green, Simpson, Bukran, Keates, Hall, Goodman, Angell, Byfield, Steiner all available.

I like that team I don’t think I would change much. I don’t think I could leave Keates out though, played a huge part in both promotions.

I know what you mean about Keates, didn’t seem right leaving him out, same as Marshy.
I suppose if I imposed a ban on loan players, Nick Henry could make way for Deano. :slightly_smiling_face:

The thing about Gaydon was it wasn’t just what he did but how he did it. When we talk about an identity as a team we tend to think of formations and a way of playing but Gaydon had a set of values that surrounded this of discipline, hard work, working for each other and fair play that he applied both on the pitch and off it. Values that transcended football that you could apply to other areas of life and gave you a sense of pride not just in the team but with the town as well.

Regardless of where we are right now I’m sure we will go on at some point in the future to have other promotions, other successes with teams and managers that we celebrate as walsall greats, but I’m less certain any of those will deliver that extra wider philosophy that had such an impact on the town.

7 Likes