Most impressive result

Fondly remember the 1-1 against Leeds in the FA Cup Third Round, early 1995. A proper cup match against a really good Premiership team and even though Trevor Wood had the game of his career we played some great stuff.

Had Killer finished the move that starts on about 7 minutes, this would have been one of the greatest goals scored at Bescot.

(replay wasn’t too bad, either…)

10 Likes

Both great games. Pity they brought on Phil Masinga at Elland Road !

4 Likes

Good shout ! Especially given the fact we lost 7-0 at home to Chelsea the previous match. A certain 17year old called Dean Smith made his debut at Roker park. Wonder whatever happened to him ??? :thinking::thinking:

3 Likes

That Stuart Watkiss face clearance on the line! :rofl:

2 Likes

Didn’t Ron Green save a penalty to keep us from getting relegated? Very rare game that was,when either team would get relegated at the end of the match,Some of our players were assaulted as the Sheffield fans invaded the pitch at the end.My brother in law got arrested trying to climb the fence when he saw one of the Walsall players being punched,he gave me a lift up there,so had to find my own way back,luckily there was a special train from Walsall,I just walked on with all the other fans,and walked off at Walsall,they didn’t check for tickets,there were too many fans piling off the train…:grinning:

2 Likes

Another impressive result was the 7-0 away at Macclesfield in the cup. Yes they were a division below us, but they were on the crest of a wave having just been promoted up from the Conference and hadn’t lost a home game until we rolled into town, so they were no mugs. We scored 7 but could have been double.

1 Like

Rotherham 4-2 away, the Sheffield Utd 1-0 relegation battle, and Watford 4-4 for me, but I also have some favourite moments that stand out in my memory.

David Kelly’s back flick goal in the play off semi final at Notts Co.
Kevin Summerfield’s flick and run from the half way line that ended with a 25 yard thunderbolt into the top corner at the railway end (in a 2-2 home draw with Rotherham)
Ron Green’s debut in a 4-1 defeat at Rotherham which saved us from a conceding double figures
The 1-2 defeat at home to Stoke in Div1 when we absolutely tore them apart, I think this was the start of the 18 defeats on the run.

Not an impressive result but a great cup run to get there, we lost 1-0 to a very good Ipswich team in the 96 FA cup, the reason it sticks in my mind is because we traveled in style on the coach with the directors, we even shared an executive box with some of them, one of them was steve parks who proceeded to get totally out of his tree and threw up on the table as we were eating, and by way of an apology offered us his box for the next Walsall game which I think was Burnley? And it was called off due to a frozen pitch, and to top it all I lost an expensive pair of glasses on the coach :see_no_evil:

1 Like

The big moments for me are;
The 2-2 draw at Anfield.
4-4 at Watford.
The 4-1 trashing of WBA in Merson’s debut.
And the 5-1 demolition of Port Vale under JW.

Nothing, but nothing will beat the euphoria we experienced on the magnificent day in Cardiff.

2 Likes

Loved the nights out at Liverpool, Arsenal, Rotherham, Wolves etc, but as a Walsall fan for many years my favourite game was “The battle of Springfield Park” at Wigan where we were 3-0 down at half time. The rest is history and only if you were there (I apologise to younger members) you would know what being a Walsall fan was all about ! I bet Chunkster was there … lol !

1 Like

That wasn’t there fault either like everything else they’ve done ain’t been there fault scouse sc u m bags

YES i was :wink::+1: but fans nower days poo poo things like that but it was part of who we were and made us what we are :wink: i remember Kenny Mower punching his hand into his other hand telling fans to get stuck in :joy: and buckley giving him a bollocking, in fact i was on the pitch by the corner flag :joy: and other fans trying to hide handcuffs under scarfs and flags trying to get away from the fuz :joy:

2 Likes

Good one, remember Etheridge had one of his worldie games and saved a penalty from Billy Sharp.

Big Roy mentions this in his book said it was absolute carnage that day.

2 Likes

Was there for all those too chunk - agree the atmosphere at the manu game was incredible- would love to see us back to our giant killing best one day

1 Like

My most impressive result was asking Shirley Davis to dance at the school disco,and like the man from Del monte she said yes…:face_with_hand_over_mouth:…Not that I asked the man from Del monte to dance you understand…:grimacing:

Shagging the 1969 Bloxwich Carnival Queen round the back of Walsall Town Hall within an hour of her being crowned :crazy_face:

1 Like

Now that is impressive shady…:+1::star_struck: Hold on,1969,that was the year my brother won it,just before he had the op,I’ll remember you to him/her…:woozy_face:

4 Likes

When they asked her what she wanted in life, instead of saying “world peace” she must have said “shady’s piece” :smile:

2 Likes

I`ve been rumbled :laughing:
Mind you i do remember him suggesting a 3 some with his brother who i think he used to call “slip it in Sid” :rofl:

2 Likes