Ned Kelly

Whatever happened to wingers with pace Mark Reece Scotty Houghton John Hodge could all skin a fullback inside out we dont see that these days even Wes at his best has never been that quick.

2 Likes

We’ve sort of still got Mark Rees - well if you cross Norman with Bates you get Psycho anyway. :rofl:

5 Likes

David Kelly is too busy mugging off his wife. Allegedly. He forgets he has half a house apprently. Likes to laud it up, maybe. Hes mugging off you lot getting a job on WM.

and you all lap it up

[post moderated - yeah but no but not here]

Is this bordering on the libellous?

1 Like

I was wondering that myself. Rees was ultra quick but, apart from on the League Cup run, not a very skilful player. When I started watching the Saddlers, we had Tommy Watson who was very fast indeed. And Louis Donowa played for us briefly. I remember in one game, he just got the ball in our half, ran off and scored - think Michael Owen against Argentina.

We are certainly lacking pace. Wes often pushes the ball past the full-back but then the full-back turns around and outruns him.

1 Like

Hopefully the insertion of the key word “Allegedly” takes care of that…

1 Like

Or does 3 or 4 stepovers, knocks it past the full back and then runs in to him.

Exactly! Then looks at the ref.

I forgot that bit :blush:

I think Nolan if he is given two or three hundred yards to get going can work up an unstoppable turn of speed. Mind you, I was impressed with those corners that he took at the end. It’s a shame it’s not like American football and we could bring him on just to take them. Make a change from ‘one arm in the air’ - hit their first defender or ‘both arms in the air’ - clear everybody.

2 Likes

I thought one arm meant 'I’m over here on the left", and two arms means “No! I meant the other left!”.

“A fortunate flick…”

4 Likes

A complete fluke , he says …and his second … despite losing his balance , after being kicked from behind … :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Thank you for this. Wonderful memories.

2 Likes

What a ■■■■■■■ goal was my first reaction. And still is to this day.
Great memories. Love seeing this footage as it was my first ever away match!

1 Like

Oh my, struggling why they want to describe that as a complete fluke… he knew exactly what he was trying. The look around immediately after connecting with the ball to see if it had worked. Doesn’t come off very often but a great piece of skill nonetheless.
If a premiership prima donna scores that today, it would be lauded as genius for all eternity.
As for the second goal, a premiership prima donna would never score it… down at first contact and probably still rolling around now.
Great memories… cheers!

6 Likes

A “fluke” in that he sent the ball in exactly the direction he wanted it to go. There was a good chance it wouldn’t come off, but there’s a degree of speculation in all great goals. No more a fluke than,say, Keates’ goal at Swindon. Everything had to go right for that to go in. But it was what he intended when he turned and hit it. A fluke implies unintended consequences. The consequences in both instances were deliberate.

1 Like

It’s occurred to me there is a better example of a fluke in one of our play-offs. Rougier’s o.g. at Cardiff. Even that wasn’t a complete fluke. Rougier had to be on the ground for it to happen. He was only there because he’d desperately dragged a Walsall player down , and gone down with him (Keates again.)

1 Like

No. It was an Irish hat-trick! Kelly (2) and O’Kelly!

I remember that night well. As the massed Saddlers were queuing for the away end, the police were doing body searches at the turnstiles. There was a small queue of just one or two fans, being patted down by this copper, and a huge queue alongside (and growing), waiting to be searched by an extremely attractive policewoman!

You are probably right, I had it in my mind Jones slid in near the goal line and knocked possibly the second goal in. I remember the 3rd goal Kelly lobbed it over the keeper as he came towards him. I was at the game, but was too young have memories such as yours from that night :slight_smile:

1 Like