New contract for Sadler

Absolutely ridiculous piece of business by the club.

Who on earth has decided to do that?

10 Likes

Ben Boycott I would imagine. He actually says heā€™s pleased to get it over the line in the press release

3 Likes

What or where was the pressure to get him to sign a contract now? And extend it now?

Absolutely ridiculous business decision by the club. Heā€™s only been here 12 months and will be here another 12 months! Why on earth have we now put ourselves in a position where we might have to pay more compensation out for someone - when we didnā€™t need to!

Fair enoughā€¦ if we started next season well, and things are going well up to Christmas - sure, I get it.

What happens now if we start off next season really badly?

Stupid decision. Nothing to do with Mat Sadler - itā€™s to do with simple business and planning.

7 Likes

Weā€™ve set the bar low.

9 Likes

What are the other options? Get rid of someone whoā€™s been the most successful manager weā€™ve had for years. Or get rid and bring yet another manager in who would be a total gamble?

9 Likes

The flip side to that is players should be 100% behind him because itā€™s obvious he has the support of the board and is unlikely to get replaced.

Personally happier to go with BB than with you.

6 Likes

As @Bags10 says above, Iā€™d imagine it may have been only a 1 year contract initially and it was very much something that needed doing ahead of retentions and budgets etc

2 Likes

Probably thatā€™s the best option from all considered, but what you wanted and got is often not exactly what was needed. In the worst case scenario, next season.

Oh dearā€¦

No mention of length, i wonder if its a 1 year rolling contract on improved terms. Isnt that what Smith ended up with?

2 Likes

Bags said it ran out next summer, it if was running out now then it obviously needed sorting.

Iā€™m not against it either way, if the Club are behind him then giving him 2 years is logical. Of course, it could go wrong but thatā€™s football. I donā€™t think it is a huge risk financially, signing DJ has cost us more for less.

May quieten down a few who genuinely still think he may have been sacked.

I would also imagine that Richard Oā€™Kelly who most seem to approve of is in favour of this.

1 Like

Imagine what we could do next season without the spurious rumours ABOUT ( the division among the fanbase and those FEW that tried hard to unsettle things on social media with spurious rumour about dressing room bust ups and fallings out ) :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

I imagine theyā€™re of the longer term mindset where starting the next season badly isnā€™t actually a sackable offenseā€¦.

So (being facetious) - IF we lost the first ten games - we shouldnā€™t sack him?

:joy:

What pressure was there for this? Heā€™s achieved - to be frank - nothing.

Sure, we have progressed - and if we are doing well next season - this would make sense in January.

Just seems like an unnecessary bit of pressure.

3 Likes

I had concerns at the start of this season and feared the worst but it didnā€™t happen and weā€™ve finished higher in the league than previous ones so for me thatā€™s a positive.
The players appear to be behind him and also sends out a message that BB and co are building for the future by getting him to sign on the dotted line.
Hopefully the board will give him the tools to do the job ie backing up their (and our) wish to get promoted next season but thatā€™s going to cost money.

1 Like

Announce Josh Gordon :smile:

2 Likes

There could be all sorts of reasons mateā€¦.

It may help with stability and asking players to stay longer or joinā€¦ā€¦

So completely hypothetical what if we were trying to convince Hutch and Earing to stayā€¦and they both have a real affinity towards the current first team staff and youā€™re trying to convince them that thereā€™s a plan and a process that they can buy intoā€¦ā€¦

1 Like

This is a good move in my opinion.
Sadler has progressed the club. Maybe not as quick as some would like but you have to acknowledge where weā€™ve been these last few years and give credit to an upward shift at last. I hope Matt does well. He has a lot of thinking/planning to do over the summer but Iā€™m backing him. UTS!!

4 Likes

Perhaps this is a condition stipulated by DJT before heā€™ll sign on to that lucrative new contract himself :laughing:

In all seriousness, purely from a stability perspective, itā€™s a positive regardless of my opinion on him/his brand of football may be.

If he was just on a one year contract then it obviously had to be sorted either way before the summer and planning for next season began in earnest.

Certainly areas for improvement from him and iā€™m sure Trivela will be expecting signs of learning and progression too but theyā€™ve obviously seen enough to give him a new deal.

Just got to ride this crazy train that is Walsall FC.

1 Like

Bizarre decision.

Depressing statement about how the powers that be have run the club so badly over the last few years that they are openly celebrating finishing mid table.

The club have driven expectations to rock bottom.

6 Likes