New formation

Not silly , desperate maybe .
Have you seen them play this season ?

I thought maybe to replace Marcus Stewart?

We really talking about getting rid of Fullarton Macdonald and Taylor after 4 games. Shocking Behaviour :flushed:

I don’t think any anger is being directed at Taylor, well from what I’ve seen.

In fact I’d say he’s mad to work under such restrictions.

What restrictions?

I know I’ve said it and it probably is ridiculous , it’s just that at this time the players that have been recruited seem completely the wrong type to work within Taylor’s style , and then there’s the fitness issues that is definitely down to the coaching staff to make sure they are prepared

1 Like

Well the DOF does the recruitment not the manager, and at the moment we don’t have a capable striker?

Thought that might be obvious.

1 Like

That’s not silly, but it is a bit early.

Quite possibly , but if the season is to be anything other than another depressing struggle , there needs to be a tangible improvement quickly

Not in so many words and throw in some questioning of what McDonald and Fullarton are doing and the portrait is being painted.

The one restriction those mentioned are working with is trying to stop and turn the oil tanker that has been hurtling towards the rocks. No mean feat and something that isn’t going to happen overnight. I mean we had some who thought Dutton should be given a transfer window and 10 games despite contributing to two years of the direction of travel of our oil tanker.

I would love instant success, find me a fan who wouldn’t. But let’s face some realistic facts, our club has been in major decline over the last 6 years. Some saying we lost to a conference team on Saturday. Perhaps so, but a team that finished 8 places below us in the pyramid last season and are riding a wave in an upwards trajectory. As stated we have been in a downwards trajectory over 6 years.

I don’t like it anymore than anyone else, I have grumbled about the way we have operated over the last few years as much as anyone, questioned about whether I wanted to renew my season ticket. The appointment of a DOF was something most of us wanted, seemingly thinking Pomlett had listened to criticism. That is why I am prepared to give it some time, and except there maybe some bumps ala Smith along the way.

2 Likes

I mean, I’m not happy with the start either but talk of giving people the boot already is ridiculous. We can’t even afford a couple more attacking players, let alone paying up 2/3 year contracts after four games.

1 Like

As I’ve said Dan your correct it is ridiculous , but then again so is signing Taylor and Monthe and trying to play out

2 Likes

Can’t argue with that. The lack of pace in our entire central defence is a huge worry too.

What you do to counter that is have a deeper line but we seem to push up and press high so when we lose the ball we’re screwed. that’s down to Matt Taylor and his tactics. You can’t press high if the defence can’t get back when the play breaks down

1 Like

I’d play Menayese every game with Taylor next to him one week and Monthe the next or drop the pair of them and stick Leak next to Menayese.

It’s not that simple though. The 4-2-3-1 is a formation that naturally should press from the front as it is a top heavy formation. If you start dropping your defensive line very deep there are going to be huge gaps appearing. Come to think of it there are anyway but that is probably because our press is terrible, it looks like it hasn’t been worked on at all, even if it has.

He will if you play him on the right instead of a lone front man.

1 Like

Matt Taylor thinks Wilkinson the 12 days of Wilkinson with all those positions :joy:. Just play him on the right in his proper position ffs :joy:

Scoring 15 in what I’m guessing was his most productive season as an attacker sort of gives the game away doesn’t it? Or is it me?

2 Likes

To be fair, when he signed I posted a link to a graphic (unfortunately since updated to games so far this season so you can’t see the data for last season when he was scoring those goals for Orient) that showed that while he was predominantly used out wide on the right, Orient did also play him on the left, at CF and as a deeper attacking midfielder in a significant number of games - so MT isn’t really playing him in positions he’s never played before or scored goals from.

But I do agree that, apart from a couple of times when he’s temporarily switched with Phillips, we haven’t yet really tried him out there down the right flank to see if it improves his/the team’s effectiveness compared to him playing at the tip or base of the attacking diamond formation (that MT is apparently wedded to) he’s been limited to so far.

3 Likes