New Pitch

Work has begun today on restoration of the pitch.emphasised text I understand that the pitch will be slightly narrower next season to suit Flynn’s desire to have a more compact playing surface which will suit our likely tactical approach.

Narrower ??? It’s too narrow already for my liking .

1 Like

Surely they just have to repaint the lines closer in for that?

5 Likes

from the EFL rules:

13.1 The dimension of the field of play for all League organised matches shall be as follows:

Maximum length 120yds (110 metres)
Minimum length 110yds (100 metres)
Maximum width 80yds (75 metres)
Minimum width 70yds (64 metres)

Current pitch size 100m x 66m
that only gives us 1m each side to trim off and we would be bang on the minimum permitted by the EFL.

Not quite sure how having a narrow pitch helps when playing wing backs :thinking:

1 Like

Well, if you’re planning on your wing backs bombing forward at every opportunity and having an attacking threat from midfield (I know, I’ve forgotten what that looks like), then it will certainly help the three centre backs if you keep the pitch as narrow as possible.

2 Likes

The thing that puts me off things like this would be the away form. Surely if we’re at the minimum at home, then we play games at places closer to the maximum surely we’re at a much bigger disadvantage

They’d have to extend it to the Saddlers Club if Mal Benning ever plays here again.

5 Likes

I’m sure if we sign some decent players it won’t matter a f***k what size the pitch is .

1 Like

True, and a very valid point.

However if our pitch is different to many other clubs conversely they are at a disadvantage when they play at fortress Bescot and as we play half of our games as home also it means less distance for the players to travel keeping fitness levels high.

1 Like

Further for the fans to run on the pitch too, giving the stewards more time to catch them. Win win.

2 Likes

Yes that is all very true. But to play devils advocate to those points, if it’s close between a few teams going for play offs, all these teams only play here once where as we move around the other half.

Also the fitness could be a good point, but could it go against when playing on bigger pitches when after 70 minutes the players are more drained.

I don’t have any preference or feelings either way. I’m just laying out potential pros and cons

I guess we’d switch it up away though and not have wingbacks bombing forward as much as at home anyway with the likelihood being that the attacking emphasis will be on the home side.

We could play on an elongated cricket pitch with our hoof ball technique :joy:

1 Like

Just an off the cuff idea.

We seem to replace the pitch every season, Surely (don’t go there :grin:) if we replaced it with a 3g pitch, yes expensive at first but would repay itself over time.

1 Like

The EFL would not allow us to play on a 3g pitch. Harrogate had to have theirs dug up before they were allowed to play at home in League 2. Hence they played their first home game at Doncaster.

2 Likes

I think @SirKennethArthurDodd is thinking of the future :wink:

And less dangerous to the players.Dont know how they get away with a breeze block wall 6 ft from touchline broken bones waiting to happen.

3 Likes

On the subject of 3g pitches the way of thinking in this country is archaic, they are completely different to the early ones .
They should be allowed in lge 2 and 1 , they open up much needed lucrative revenue streams…
If Champion league games can be played on them I’m sure they would be good enough for lower league teams.

1 Like

I am very forward thinking

1 Like