Newport County (A) Feb 11th, 7.45pm

“Tonight it’s going off in Newport town”

- 21 Ounces, Goldie Lookin Chain (2004)

Walsall make a Tuesday night trip to South Wales hoping to continue an impressive record on the road.

Newport County

Newport currently sit 13th in League Two, a single place above Walsall. The teams are deadlocked on 39 points, but the Exiles have a superior goal difference and have played three fewer games. Newport’s league record for the season so far reads: P29, W10, D9, L10, F27, A26, Pts39.

The hosts have been inconsistent of late, having won three and lost three of their last six league games, including a home defeat to Cambridge on Saturday. They do however boast a solid record at Rodney Parade, winning seven and losing just three of their home matches this season.

Padraig Amond leads the Newport scoring charts with 11 goals, followed by former Sutton Coldfield and Kidderminster striker Jamille Matt with six, and Tristan Abrahams with five.

Recent League Form

Jan 18 Swindon (H) Won 2-0
Jan 25 Orient (A) Lost 2-1
Jan 28 Macclesfield (H) Won 1-0
Feb 01 Plymouth (A) Lost 1-0
Feb 08 Cambridge (H) Lost 1-0

Previous Meeting

How can we forget…

Our last visit to Newport came on 4th November 2017, a televised FA Cup 1st Round game where the hosts came out deserved winners. Frank Nouble and Shawn McCoulskey had the home team 2-0 up by 46 minutes, a late goal from Amadou Bakayoko was nothing more than a consolation.

A lack-lustre and gutless performance that punctuates the past five years following Walsall, this defeat saw heightened demands for then-manager Jon Whitney to be sacked.

The Board gave him a vote of confidence, but he was made fully aware of how supporters felt by our very own @Asps, who infamously found his way into the away dressing room

Played for Both

Cameron Pring played seven games on loan at Newport last season scoring his first and only professional goal in that spell. He is the only current link, but former Walsall striker Aaron Williams managed three goals in 17 games for the Exiles during 2017-18 before dropping back into non league.

Newport defender Kyle Howkins was born in Walsall, so that kind of counts.

Prediction

Newport are a decent team who have a few games in hand on the teams occupying the top half of the table, so they may see this tie as an opportunity to kick-start a late run for the play-offs. Wouldn’t be surprised by a win, but more than content with a 1-1 draw.

Match Poll

• Walsall Win
  • Draw
  • Newport Win

0 voters

2 Likes

I can’t remember never mind forget! What a day last time. We booked train tickets as we usually would then for a 3pm kick off, not one of us remembering that it was a late kick off. So we found ourselves in Cardiff for 10am and in a bar in Newport taking over the karaoke for 1/2pm for a good few hours and then getting a standing ovation from the locals as we stumbled out closer to kick off. One of the best away days I’ve had, ■■■■ the result.

I’ll be there on Tuesday night, heading across with @RobHarv3y. Breakfast at Dave’s Cafe by the Bescot followed by chilling out in the Welsh capital for a bit before the football gets in the way.

I’m going for a 1-1 draw. Not a bad return on two tough away games.

See you there whoever is going.

3 Likes

I think we’ll get absolutely dicked.
I’m going for a 1-5.
Their goals by Neville Chamberlain, Lee Trundle, Uncle Bryn and a runaway trampoline.
Coventry to offer £250k for the trampoline, claiming it’s an improvement on Bakayoko.

5 Likes

1-1 for me too…

Snap your hand off for a draw

Take the draw and make a run for the border.

1 Like

Dreading it…

I lived in Newport town centre for a year in the early 90’s and it went off there almost every night. Couldn’t sleep at weekends for the sirens.
Women were as bad as the blokes.

As for tomorrow, we will need to defend set pieces better than we have been doing to get anything from this.

2-1 defeat I fear.

2 Likes

Hope for a draw but half expect a tonking.

I think i posted about my last visit :grin:, i think this one is beyond us, wouldn’t be surprised at a heavy defeat.

We will win this one 2-1 I reckon 0-0 half time same as FGR.

Jesus that’s knocked my socks off :joy::joy:

Too much physicality and league two nouse for our weak minded individuals.

3-1 Newport

Not sure about this one. The pitch will be poor that is for certain. Dragons play there. Everytime i have seen it, it looks bad. So anything can happen. We have been good away. So lets see. UTS.

The BBC obviously don’t know about Mr Tinker

6 Likes

Still giggling at this

Read that earlier and thought the same :joy: He even said in his post match interview that he would have to make changes.

1 Like

I will predict a postponement.

Can’t see it! Weather looks decent tomorrow.

1 Like

Injury-free game and (optional part) at least one reason to smile after. Result? Rather not that important now.