Next 3 Games

Swindon are no where near the team they were last season

1 Like

Maybe but donā€™t forget many thought that about them last season when they had to build a whole new team. I donā€™t trust us to right them off

Remember sitting on the front row somewhere in the Family Stand for this, watching Edwin van der Sar and Steed Malbranque amongst others. Think we lost 2-0 off the top of my head. Maybe 2-1.

1 Like

2-1 it was.

1 Like

Iā€™d rather lose in the cup. Not really that bothered about the League Cup anyway, much rather have an FA Cup run, I say it every year but it feels like a special part of the season is already over when we go out of the FA Cup.

2 Likes

Hearing the draw after is always painful. Our games are always against dour opposition, no glamour, no big gates, no TV money. The next round is always ā€œhereā€™s what you could have wonā€, always a tie thatā€™s a guaranteed money spinner, and weā€™re out. Financially thatā€™s hurt us over time.

Donā€™t get me started on all the cash thrown at Salford and FGRā€¦

3 Likes

Iā€™d prefer a cup win personally. Of course you canā€™t predict the draw for next round (will probably be something dull like Colchester away) but a big glamour tie would really breath life into a promising start. And Trivela would like it as would put club on the national and global map a tiny bit more.

And no one in May remembers dropped points in August if thereā€™s a near promotion miss e.g. 1-1 draw on opening day at home to Oldham is never mentioned in those games to regret in 15/16.

2015 there were cup runs. Beat Brighton when they were going for promotion to premier league in league cup and then gave Chelsea a very decent game in next round with 4-1 a bit flattering to them.

FA cup got to 4th round but it was a bit low key with win at Brentford in third round (only interesting due to DS going there two months before) and then a day to forget at Reading which was a bad 4-0 defeat (wouldā€™ve had West Brom at home in the next round).

Thatā€™s about it for nearly twenty years aside from JPT.

It was on Sky wasnā€™t it? Think the famous Pop Idol final of Gareth Gates v Will Young was around that time so they had Pete Waterman in studio as pundit on the game! He was always in the press in those days saying how much he loved being a Walsall fan but obviously circumstances changed since.

Edit: Mustā€™ve been the days before Whitney became physio, 10 minutes to put some stitches in Wrackyā€™s leg?! :joy:

WALSALL 1 FULHAM 2. - Free Online Library (thefreelibrary.com)

1 Like

Donā€™t think so this season lost there manager and some key players and replaced them with the likes of Shade.
Mckirdy is also missing for 3 games.

Pete Waterman was a Walsall fan when we were in the championship heā€™s a Coventry fan absolute tosser.

3 Likes

Got sick of people asking him when he was buying the club!

He did use to rock up for a fair few games back then, remember chatting to him queuing for a half-time pie at an away game. Then he disappeared, thought heā€™d started watching Luton, Bournemouth or Rotherham or something.:grin:

2 Likes

Only the one game. Had 2 yellows, not a straight red :+1:t2:

Missing this game, as is Allen which is a plus.

4 Likes

From memory his son passed who he went to many games with and I just donā€™t think he wanted to go anymore after that but could be totally wrong.

2 Likes

That is what I heard, or read, that Pete couldnā€™t face going without his son, who had died.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not too bothered by league cup games tbh.
The year Smith took us to Wembley was exciting, just a shame we couldnā€™t turn up to play!
Iā€™ve supported this club since the early 1960ā€™s, weā€™ve never gone beyond the 5th round of the FA Cup.
A cup run would be very welcome, but a top three finish has to be priority for us, surely.

It was cup runs that put us on the football map in the good old days :wink:

5 Likes

We are one win away from a top draw or maybe wolves.Should put out best team possible.

3 Likes

Cup run please.
We donā€™t want to do too well in the league atm else weā€™ll lose our manager & any decent players in January. Just stay in contention until Feb fust, then press on to the title.

1 Like