Next Manager Odds

Next manager? It’s simple. Jon Whitney. First, he is already contracted and you know, budget is tight. Second, he knows players, he signed many of them not so long ago. Third, he has that rare ability to produce result, when it is needed. What a coincidence, club is in such situation right now. Adding more, he wants to prove something, chairman will be happy too, so win-win situation.
Well, more serious, I want to see someone new, without previous club connection. Not former coach, not former physio, not former player, not former board member. And younger too, because SOD experience wasn’t good. I know it requires money, but League One status won’t be cheap.

1 Like

Oh my, there’s a suggestion!! It won’t happen for several reasons;

• he’s moved on to other things and is probably happier doing them
  • some fans would never accept it
  • he couldn’t deal with some of these players because of his own weaknesses (cook and ferrier spring to mind!)
  • bonser wouldn’t admit he made a huge mistake
  • he’s probably not good enough to turn this around, albeit he did sort us out sharply after o’dismal

I for one would be more than happy if someone experienced came in and wanted to bring Whitney as his sidekick. We lost an excellent employee and his influence in the dressing room, on the training pitch and in the treatment room was very important under Smith

2 Likes

Why is Chris Powell even mentioned by some…just got the sack from Southend who are in a mess like ourselves due to his management skills !!!

2 Likes

I guess because he’d previously done a great job and had a good reputation

Would not be a good choice in my opinion

Jeff rarely appoints known quantities as manager, O’Driscoll was the last one and prior to that would be Lee. I cannot see him offering it to a proven League manager and I would hazard a guess that not many managers of that calibre would want to work for Walsall. Limited budget, a disinterested chairman, poor attendances and your head on the chopping block if you don’t perform miracles.

I know the same could be said about a number of League 1 or 2 clubs but our reputation amongst players isn’t the best so cannot see why it would differ with managers.

With all the managerial vacancies/short-term appointments at the bottom end of our league I’m amazed nobody has yet taken the plunge on Hurst, given his track record.

Maybe he doesn’t want it. Must have had a hefty pay off from Ipswich.

If a manager isn’t appointed this week, who picks the team for Accrington?

And who decides the tactics/game-plan (if we ever had one anyway)?

:thinking:

Is he on gardening leave? I know that Rowett is so you can count him out of the equation until the summer at the earliest…

1 Like

If MOC has turned it down my money would be on maybe Adam Chambers / John Ward partnership

1 Like

Will be really interesting to see the club’s next steps from here. They’ve got a huge issue to sort with all of Keates’ backroom staff and deciding whether they make a permanent appointment before Accrington or go with a temporary fix.

I have heard on the grapevine that there is a promising young kiosk manager on Bonzo’s radar :laughing:

1 Like

Id go for paul hurst. Experienced at this level, knows how to manage a small budget. Yeah was shocking at ipswich but worth a go

Ipswich was the wrong job. Budget slashed and uncompetitive, previous manager hounded out by abusive fans despite keeping the team above where could be realistically expected and he was the saviour to get them back up the table. Sound familiar at all? :wink:

2 Likes

He may surprise you Funk. Offering someone a nice wedge to keep us up is a win-win. Bonser doesn’t want us in L2 any more than the rest of us.

As this wasn’t a knee jerk reaction, then presumably Bonser has someone lined up, particularly so close to the death. Unless of course it was MOC and he told them to shove it.

East Midlands based journalist reporting on Twitter that Steve Evans has turned down the chance to be caretaker manager until the end of the season. Wouldn’t want him here but at least the club are supposedly being proactive

https://twitter.com/ptalanswann/status/1114911353603489797?s=21

1 Like

I’d take him for 5 games to be honest