Next Walsall Manager Thread (Again)

Agreed. I always felt Flynn’s basic philosophy was to keep it tight at the back and make the most of set pieces.

Long throws can be effective - Cheltenham went up on the back of them - but I think we only scored once as a result all season and we were having 10 or so in some games, each one taking time for Knowles to get across and for the CBs to trundle forward.

1 Like

I think there will be an announcement the early part of this week. It will be interesting.

2 Likes

Tampa Bay vs Detroit. Not a great standard.

https://youtu.be/Q12xxgJWjzg

Flynn had from February 2022 to get his summer recruitment right and look how that turned out.

I’ve got my agent making some calls as we speak. I have at least one more season left in me at the right club :joy:

So Ledesma is a NL Level player …. He played 4/5 seasons there

Joe Cole had a spell with the Rowdies

Carlton Cole , Stephen Taylor, Sean Wright Phillips & Alex Bruce also played in the USL.

Other names like Harry Forrester and Baxendale.

Id say L1, L2, Strong NL

1 Like

They pay the money over there that’s the difference between the standards!

I’m not totally against Collins, but it would a high risk high reward appointment, I’d much rather have the safe hands of Alexander or Bowyer steading the ship work case with those 2 is with finish low midtable.With Collins it could be a masterstroke and we win the league or easliy be a disater and we lose our league status

2 Likes

I’m not sure our players could stay awake long enough to hear the end of a Gary bowyer team talk. Has to be the most boring bloke on the planet.

3 Likes

Impressive lack of self awareness

12 Likes

Looking at Neil Collins comments from those tweets he did the textbook interview when a manager is about to leave. Didn’t exactly 100% say he was staying did he?

On this Sadler thing I’m amused what this actual improvement was in the first three games is supposed to be?

Just as a reminder actually lost the Salford game despite them playing large chunk of second half with 10 men. And then finding a way still to lose despite scoring in the 95th minute. That’s chronic game management from whoever was in charge.

Crawley 0-0 is pretty much same game as all the ones under Flynn in the long winless run, barely created a decent chance.

Donny a win but they had a terrible end of season themselves and sacked Schofield the day after so can’t really take much from that anyway.

A very small sample and still loads wrong in two of them so no way I’d be appointing Sadler full time on the basis of that.

2 Likes

Maybe I just don’t have the knowledge to be fully appreciative of his subject matter….that would explain it I guess……

Well according to most that must be ROK then :+1:

Ronaldo plays in the Saudi Premier League but it still isn’t a good standard. Lots of good players go the USL because of the money and the lifestyle, it doesn’t necessarily means it’s a good standard. Maybe it’s equivalent to the National League but I’d be amazed if it’s EFL level.

Ledesma might possibly be NL standard now and the same goes for all those others you mentioned. They’re no different to John Bostock, Paul Mullin, Leroy Lita etc being NL or lower.

1 Like

Why dont you have a day off tomorrow in terms of the hard sell of Matts Coaching abilities?. Alternatively start to sell us Double Glazing?. It might be easier…

2 Likes

Well make your mind up? It can’t be ROK who did the coaching and the reason things were improved but Sadlers fault when we play badly?

1 Like

Here’s my suggestion (don’t like the idea of Jon Stead joining the new fella from Tampa - I’m not being funny but why would you leave and why should we pay compensation?)

Wait until Sheffield Wednesday lose this week and Darren Moore leaves.

Then get the band back together:
Big Dave had Donervan at the Albion back in the day, along with Berahino.

Get rid of all the players out of contract and give the new manager a clean slate.

Don’t players have to be notified soon anyway?

Bored of waiting so I reckon we should get rid of the dead wood and hang on for a manager that can drag us out of the dark ages. Moore still lives locally, the players would love him and he’d get the best out of the players we have, I think. Shakespeare is very likely to be available in a few weeks too - he can join as Director of Football and job’s a good ‘un!

2 Likes

Great idea, but it’s all about timing and Moore and Shakespeare are occupying a different space and time to the one we currently find ourselves in. Maybe one day the stars will align but not for now…

1 Like

Do I really have to explain why most people would prefer O’Kelly to Sadler?

1. Richard O’Kelly was not part of the coaching team responsible for the way Walsall played this season, Matt Sadler was.

2. Richard O’Kelly has decades of very successful coaching experience at a range of clubs, including as assistant in the Premier League and a spell as boss at this level. Matt Sadler has been assisting Flynn and Hatswell at Walsall.

3. Trying to draw conclusions of ability from three end of season games is foolish, since there is insufficient data.

You actually think ROK would be a better manager? :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy: