Nicknames

I’ve been whiling away a few minutes trying to think of Walsall players who had nicknames (that were well known and/or often used e.g. by fans or the press). I couldn’t come up with many at all - it seems mostly we actually use their NAMES :astonished.
So I thought I’d turn it into a quiz about the few I did remember and invite other UTSers to identify the players associated with certain nicknames - and then add their own to the quiz list. (Of necessity, most of mine are “old”. Also, some are very easy, some less so - and some may be disputed by the cognoscenti. Moreover, some were, shall we say, rather less than PC. But never mind).

So, who were these?
Tumble
Gyppo
Bonehead
Cannonball (aka The Chest)
Banana Boot (aka Shovelfoot)
Sniffer
Ropes
Ned
Clayt the Great
Rambo

That’s all I can come up with.
How many can you name?
How many can you add (without answers - to see how knowledgeable UTSers are)?

Whacka
Killer
Jeff
Bobbins
Peado

That was quick - and pretty good, too. :grin:
Now we have see if we know who’s who.
Whacka Jimmy Walker
Killer Kyle Lightbourne?
Jeff Peron?
Bobbins Mark Robbins
Peado Gino Padula?

See, I’m not very good at this.

1 Like

A few before my time, but do we have Colin Taylor, Andy Rammell, Ned Kelly, Alan Clarke, Ian Roper and Clayton Ince in there?

:see_no_evil:

The Assassin
Mr Sunshine
Pingu
Psycho

Apologies if you saw the first post including answers - didn’t read the original post fully.

We do :grin:

Not one we used, but a Hearts fan once told me that they nicknamed Neil Pointon, ‘Dissa’.

1 Like

I think these will cause the most head-scratching as a) they’m old and b) lesser-known players (arguably)

Tumble
Gyppo
Bonehead
Banana Boot (aka Shovelfoot)

Ian Roper
David Kelly
Clayton Ince
Andy Rammell

Marigold?

Acker
Casa
The Buck
Woody
Shinner
Chopper
Bernie The Bolt

All from early 70s when I first started watching, although there was a Chopper of earlier vintage.

Craig Pead, right back under Dickie Dosh (another nickname) when we were promoted.

Not a nickname as such, but which long serving player usually had the prefix “Young” applied to his name?

So did we give Allan Clarke his “Sniffer” nickname? I’ve never thought about it, but assumed it was a Leeds thing.

Oh, and Mini is another one, most fans used that rather than his given name.
There was a player we had on loan, he scored at Stockport I think on a tuesday night, we called him Tugboat, or sometimes we called him Townsend Thoresen, but I forget what his actual name was.

A few more I can think of…

Mini
Sun Tan Man
Siggi
Driller
Harry
Gabby
Ginger Mourinho
Ishy (Demon)
Pato
Black Country Messi
Chesney